Gastroenterology Community
Rotten egg burps, followed by vomiting/diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi everyone,
I'm a young teen and this is my first post. I made an account here for mainly one reason.

About five years ago, I started getting sick at school, usually on mornings. They were usually vomiting, then afterward, diarrhea. Normally I get them once or twice every year.

I'd always thought that it was due to something I ate.

But as I grew older, I noticed that before I vomit, I get burps that taste like rotten eggs. The past few years, they usually happened in the middle of the night to morning. I would wake up with a cold feeling in the upper part of my stomach, below my rib cages. It feels as if it's being pushed together.

I'd then get up thinking that it's a regular stomachache, however I'll feel bloated, and full of gas. About an hour or so, I'll start vomiting non-stop. To stop it, I have to hold my breath and cover the smell because the rotten egg smell induces my vomiting. The smell will slowly go away afterward. Sometimes, following the vomiting is diarrhea.

A few weeks ago, I woke up feeling bad. I burped, rotten eggs smell. I was scared of it. The last time I had it was around 10 months before. (The previous times, whenever I feel the burps, I would stay in the bathroom for a few hours until I finish vomiting) I sat motionless for a while, nothing happened except for the feeling of being bloated. I got up and drank some water. Walked a little more and had to vomit. It might be because of the rotten egg smell.

That last time though, I feel as if I didn't get everything out, but ignored it shortly after because I felt fine then.

But this morning, I woke up with the exact same pains. Refusing to sit by the bathroom waiting to throw up, I surfed the web hoping to get my mind off it. I drank around two cups of warm water. I felt bloated in the upper part of my stomach. All of a sudden there are little sounds from my stomach and I believe whatever's inside had moved to my intestines. Shortly after, I had diarrhea.

When my stomach is finally empty I felt better. But after eating congee and some biscuits, I burp and the rotten egg smell is still there. Now I wonder if the bacteria stays in my stomach until I fill it up with food, then vomit them back out along with the bacteria. Also, this is the first time I've had 2 .. episodes within a month.

I've read some posts about rotten egg burps, most of them suggest throwing up to solve it. I didn't vomit this time, but had diarrhea instead. Does this mean the 'virus' is going to come back soon?

I really want to solve this, instead of waiting for the next time. When I get into college and get a job, it'll be even more annoying .. I don't want rotten egg burps on an examination date!

Also, once I DO get the burps, what do you suggest I do? Is it possible that the 'virus' goes out through stool instead of throwing up?

Thanks.

And are there food suggested for issues like these? I'm going on a 2-day trip tomorrow and surely it'll be annoying if I get sick.

I'm not an expert on these things, but I've been having gastro problems for the past six months and I have found some things like what you're describing.

Another question on this site that seems to have a very similar story to you was thought to be lactose intolerance. You can grow into this; you don't have to be born with it.

A similar story on another site ended up being gallstones blocking a bile duct.

Whatever you have, it sounds like an issue with your bile. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. They should be able to help.
I'm starting to wonder if it has to do with habits?

Eating too much in little time... lack of exercise? Will environment be a cause?
Doesn't sound like lactose, or diet, or exercise to me.

Sounds like GIARDIA.

Or possibly H-pylori bacterial infection/ulcer.

Go to a GI doctor.

hey i am having the exact same thing even right now ,,,i wake up starting with theese awefull burps and then the bloating and then the diarrea (diarrhea) and then sometimes the vomiting im 33 and have been getting theese episodes fpr my whole life and i dont know ...it never lasts longer than 24hrs  its real weird if you need to share info let me know we can figure this thing out together,,,,***@****    brian
Sometimes I find that taking kaopectate will help the stomach burps, and prevent the diarreah (diarrhea) before it starts. I to have had this issue on and off since I was young.
I FEEL FOR YOU ALL!!
I too have this ailment. In fact, dealing with it right now (guess thats  why I am on here looking for ideas too).
I have had this off and on for about 5 years  now (I am currently 40).
I have had this weekly now for 6 weeks straight. The only times I didnt get this, is when I barely ate. I find, when I eat a lot of fatty foods, pizzas, burgers, etc more than 2-3 days straight, thats when I get a bout of the God awful burps. Makes me nauseaus. Then I know- its a matter of time when I start vomitting. Usually it happens to me at night time. Then the diarhea (diarrhea) begins. It "goes away" about 10 hous later- no burps, no diarhea (diarrhea), etc. And I eat a normal meal. Then a week later, after a few days of heavy meals, I get sick again.

I saw my Dr, and he said it was probably a virus and to come back if continues. Which I will this week (9/28/09-10/2/09). The next step is to provide some stool samples to check on which kind of bacteria is causing this digestive disruption. Then the Dr will know what to describe. The Dr also said it could be a galbladder issue, even though I have NO pains at all. That my galbladder could just be weak. And removing it may or may not fix my issue.

In the mean time- best thing to do is to lay down and relax. Do you notice how you dont get the burps when laying? Of course, eventually you have to get up for the diarhea (diarrhea), but at least you can find some time to avoid the symptoms. I will post on here after my DR visit.
Seems like the time of year for this.  I'm surfing and experiencing the same fun as you all!  I have had my blood tested and find that my amylase and lypase are often elevated with these attacks (over a 5 year period of them)  I am a transplant patient so I'm treated carefully.  I find that drinking some ginger syrup in tonic water often helps to settle my stomach and at times even avoids the whole drama.  If you're getting dehydrated however going to the ER would be a good idea.  They have IV's, pain killers and anti-diaherrea and vomiting drugs that will help you when the going is too rough to bear.  For now I'll mix my ginger cocktail and take a hot bath and hope for a miracle.  Best of luck all!
I think I BEAT THIS. I went to GNC and bought this- and it has worked for the past week thus far!!  

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3539844

Infusing the good bacteria and removing the bad bacteria from my digestive tract has worked thus far. I will post again with an update.
as of right now im going thru the same thing - this is a first time for me. two days ago i vomitted prefusely for about 12 hours. yesterday i felt ok, and then today i woke up with these awful sulfur burps ; not to mention farts as well ... its disgusting. diarrhea began too and i seem like im on the toilet almost every fifteen minutes ; someone please help me as to what you think this could be!! <3 thanks.
I have this problem too. It started my second year in college. It then went away for about four years and it just came back recently.

I found that most of my problems streams from a blockage in intestinal. My bowl movement are kind of irregular. You may want to rule this out before trying anything else or going to the doctor. Laxatives works, but the quicker way is to give yourself an enema. It will clean you out and if it was a blockage, you will feel better almost immediately. It should also get rid of the rotten egg burps since it is caused by too much acid mixed with food that has rotten at the bottom of you stomach.

If you want to take the laxatives, you have to neutralize the acid in your stomach, otherwise you will get sicker. Making yourself throw up as soon as possible helps. Baking soda does the job too. There is some medicines you can also buy that will neutralize the acid and will give you time for the laxative to work. If you do take a laxative, take it for three days before stopping to make sure you are clean out.

This works for me anyway, so I just wanted to throw this out here. Good luck and I feel all of your pain and it is nice to know that I was not the only one who had this problem and I was not just crazy.
I have experience of this - and solved it.

I traveled in India for 6 months about 5 years ago. During the six months I inevitably got 'Delly Belly'. Vomiting and diarrhea which usually followed a day of sulphur and eggy burps. The strange thing was that it was cyclical, occurring every month or so.

On my return to the UK, although I was drinking quality water and eating well it continued every couple of months.

I visited the doctor and was told I had Gastro Interitis I was prescribed a 3 week course of antibiotics and it never happened again.

It seems that the doctor was correct but I believe it could have also been Giardia as this 'bug' has a life cycle and seems to correspond. This is also easily treated with metronidazole, tinidazole or nitazoxanide.

I believe its viral. It could easily be that you peeps have picked something up along the way and its just recurring.
I'm experiencing this right now. So frustrating!! I have bowel problems as well as acid reflux and I was just assuming it was that. I have not been throwing up or having diarrhea, but I've only had the 'rotten egg burps' for about a day and a half now. I'm sure hoping I don't have some sort of virus, but I have also been (accidentally) off my meds for almost 24 hours now. ***Try taking an acid reducer like Zantac (even prescription strength) would be my tip...it usually seems to help when I get this sort of thing. GOOD LUCK ALL!!
Thanks,
Melanie
age 21
I have had these nasty, rotten egg burps for two nights now.  Last night I awoke at five a.m. to vicious gas and explosive diarhhea.  I have had to change undies several times since.

I have had rotten egg burps and farts since I was a kid.  I don't know why but they just go away on their own and I don't worry about them.  

To help pass the time until they do go away, each time I burp, I blow it in my husband's face.  When I need to mix things up a little, I blow it in the dog's face.  
I have been having these same bouts of rotten egg burps, immediately followed by severe diarhea (diarrhea) and vomiting. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!! They started for me about a year and a half ago. Ill wake up in the middle of the night (usually the early hours of the morning) with these horrible stomach cramps, and as soon as i sit up i have to run to the washroom with either the top or bottom half of me wanting to evacuate. It lasts about a day or two, then im fine for a while. I've gone about 3 months since the last bout of it. I thought it was a form of food poisoning. My husband has also had it twice, and now that i have read a bit about it, it has been since we moved into our current home, which our water supply is from a shallow dug well. We dont drink the water, but i do use it for boiling pastas and cooking. The water has been tested several times also, and has come up clean. Do they normally test for things like that?
I have had the same exact thing since I was about 13 - I will be 30 this summer... I wake up with these horrible tasting/smelling "rotten egg burps", they last for a day, then are followed by diarrhea and sometimes vomiting. I am having it again right now. The only thing that has ever helped is taking Papaya Enzymes. I have tried MANY things to get rid of this. My doctor suggested that it sounds like my body is not digesting the food for some reason, so he said to try some Papaya Enzymes to help the digestion process. This DOES help. The only thing is, I want to know: WHAT IN THE WORLD IS CAUSING THIS? I mean, it's obviously not normal. And for me to have it for 16+ years, says to me that it's not going away on it's own. I HATE it. It's not life threatening that I know if, but it's definitely debilitating, and painful. I'm just so sick of it. I think it's time for me to demand a visit with a gastroenterologist. If I find anything out, I promise to post it.
I feel the same way too in days! Until now, I always wake up in wee hours just to burp with disgusting rotting eggs! my stomach sounds like a drum! full of air! 1week almost 2, i am having this feeling sick and wasted, specially in the morning! non stop lbm and now vomiting! haaaaayy...
I am currently experiencing symptoms like there yeaterday i woke up with eggy burps and had them all through school which was embarrasing as people i sat next to were wondering how they could smell egg :( then today i woke up with a very very gassy belly and have had dihorrea all day even now bring half 10 at night i am still hearing alot of gas inside my belly and it is very ubcomfortable :( i have felt very very tired and slept most of the day as well as passing gas and leaking .. Does anyone know how long this will last and any cures? I think i have experiences this a year ago but other than that nothing i am aware of :(
I have had this thing ( whatever it may be ) since I was about 13 and I am 22 now. I used to have it really bad during high school and would wake up at 2am and had to sleep in the bathroom because I would have vomitting and diarrhea. I would always be able to tell because I would get these egg burps but so far nothing makes it go away.. I too throw up only because of the smell grosses me out but in the last 4 years or so I havent thrown up from it. I think if I can just keep myself from throwing up it goes into my intestines and just pass it but it takes about 2 days. I usually use a hot water botter or soak in the bath for a few hours( yes hours ) and I wont burp and wont feel sick so I really dont have a remedy. just wait it out. I drink cokes because it makes the smell of the eggs go away for a short period of time and pretzels or a plain bagel help. O and I cant drink water when I have the "bug" because it makes me sick. Hope we find an actual cure soon because I now know I am not the only one with this and hope that maybe a scientist is researching a quick and instant cure!!!
I also have the same exact problem only more orten. I did go to a gastro and had several tests. Nothing was found...I was checked for infections such as Pylori. The last Dr told me "sometimes we just have to deal with the body God gave us." Can you believe that cop out??? I am so sick of this, I know as well as everyone on this post that there is something truely wrong with us. I miss work, Now my son is getting married, I am so afraid I will have a flare up the day of the wedding. Does anyone get really hot and sweat during these episodes? I used to get really cold at first then sweat. I have had this 4 times in 5 wks now. Nothing seems to help and I can't come up with a cause or type of food that might bring it on. HELP!!!!
I just got over my 2nd time of sulpher and phosphate allergy. I get the egg foul burps. That alone wants you to throw up. It goes from the burps to diarrea (diarrhea) and throwing up. It is so miserable. I start thinking about what I've ate, reading ingredients,and everytime i find sulpher or some kind of phosphate in it. As long as i stay away from everything with that in it I'm good. So check out labels. Once your body purges everything then i'm fine again. But it takes hours to get everything out.
Hope this helps
juju
i am 44 yrs old and had this when i was about 11 yrs old.I had it really bad back then eggy burps first then stomach bloating which got so painful i thought i was going to burst then vomitting and diarrea (diarrhea), it seems to have got better the older i am. My nan and mum also suffered from this in there earlier years and theirs got better as they got older.My daughter as also had bouts of it and my grandaughter has also had it a couple of times and she was only a year old .A midwife told me it sounds like Hiatus Hernia ,but a consultant told me it was ibs,with ibs this is not one of the symptoms(eggy burps)but it is with Hiatus Hernia.The midwife told me this 17yrs ago when one of my children was born with reflux condition when i explained to her my problem she said it was much the same as reflux where the acid is coming back up its as if you havent got a lid on propely.I wounder if the older you get the more matue your stomach gets maybe thats what it is an imature stomach.good luck everybody it does get better and less xx
I am 27, and every now and then will get the egg burps, fortunately I have not had the problem with diareha or vomiting. I just get these nasty tasting and smelly burps. What can I do to stop them?
My son had this. I thought it was just really frequent stomach upsets until I found out his friend's mother had exactly the same symptoms. Stools showed a parasite - D Fragilis I think.  GP prescribed antiobiotics. Friend's mother cured after 2 courses. We only took one . Seemed ok but am going to go back for another course as it appears to be back.

Be aware that half the doctors think the parasite is not harmful as it is present in healthy people too. This attitude seems illogical to me as an overabundance of anything can be harmful.

We went to a specialist. He wanted to do an operation. When I asked him what he was looking for he said things that didnt make sense. None of the symptoms matched. He said the medicine wouldnt work.

It did.

It did for my son and it did for his friend's mother. If only I had gone to my gp earlier. Yay for my GP  Dr Ha Tran - Centre Rd East Bentleigh.

Check this website out.
http://www.badbugs.org/Dientamoeba_fragilis/treatment.htm
I had the same problem for 2 years, The hospital couldnt figure it out, so I went to a specialest, He said lets open you up and see whats going on, Well it turned out to be the worse Gallbladder disease he has ever seen. I had it remove, and no more problems, I suggest you go have it checked out, Im glad I did.
Im currently getin these horrible eggy burps and really bad wind down south lol and iv had these before ( not very nice ) and i have vomited with them before aswell then after that im fine like nothin ever happend :/ it cant be from my gallbladder as iv had that removed because of gall stones . Its really strange
I've had the same stuff since I was 7 yes old and I'm 33! I wish I knew what caused it because I'd avoid it at all possible costs! I'm active and exercise regularly so that's not it! I talked to my dr about it and he decided its abdominal migraines due to the severe pain I get with it and prescribed a daily migraine medicine, it doesn't help!  I haven't found a relationship between food and the symptoms. I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago so that's not it. Mine starts off usually early morning hours as egg burps, which induce vomiting every 5-10minutes with severe stomach pain then the diarrhea starts and lasts for hours after the vomiting subsides (usually between4-10hrs after first burp). My stomach will cramp up and burn during the beginning, then I know I'm on the down hill of it when I go longer and longer between vomiting and the pains subside. I have has theories of my own as to the cause but none proven but something has to be the cause, because I would do anything to never have it again! I don't know anyone else personally that has these symptoms or gets sick like this and when I get sick no one else does so its not contagious! I wonder though if my stomach doesn't empty completely and festers inducing the burps and once the vomiting starts the stomach wakes up and empties rapidly causing the diarrhea. It's a bad way to lose 4 lbs in a few hours! My other theory is that the liver backs up and doesn't detoxify the contents of the stomach and the toxins overload the system and causes a purging of gastric contents quickly! But I don't know other than its a miserable feeling! My episodes don't happen regularly anywhere from 2 weeks up to 1.5 years between episodes!
I to get this in fact i am suffering from it now i don't have pains but i do have the runs i went to the doc and she said it was gas i get this alot  and it is not fun i have had my gallblader (gallbladder) out for 12yrs now i find that taking gas pills every day do help but not always i am in for a long night it usually last 24hrs i have been dealing with this for 18yrs they took my gallblader (gallbladder) they put me on acid pills and i still get this i will make.a.doc apt and see what they say this.time i have tried eatting  good and exercise tried hot liquid and gas pills goodluck out there hope you all find something that works
I just started getting the strange tasting burps, vomiting, and diarhea (diarrhea) a month ago at age 49. The first time, I had to go to the hospital because the vomiting was so bad and I had diarhea (diarrhea) 4 times that day. After getting some IV anti nausea drugs, pain killers, and fluids, I was back to normal in a couple of days. Yesterday, I had the same problem but went to the doctor to get the anti nausea shot to avoid the expense of the emergency room visit. When I got home, I drank lots of water because I felt so dehydrated. About 2 hours later, I was throwing up bile salts (Sickly yellow color). After that, the nausea and diarhea (diarrhea) went away and I ate a whole 32 oz jar of applesause that night. Might go out for Chinese Food tonight. I normally don't eat that many vegetables and it make my stomach feel better when I am having problems. Maybe it is the fact we don't eat enough fiber in our diet. I have heard that vegetables are the scrub brush of the intestines.
I'm 55 and have had this problem since 3rd or 4th grade. I tried all kinds of docs to no avail. Last fall I figured it might be bacterial so I took a couple of cipro tabs I had in the medicine cabinet and it did the trick. But now the symptoms are back and I am searching for a homeopathic antibiotic so I don't have to keep going to the doc for meds. I found a good site that confirmed my diagnosis about bacteria but it also says all the healthy foods I eat are not helping. I guess I will have to start eating more junk as their list of what not to eat is my diet. I do plan on trying the warm water with honey (doesn't honey contain botulism?) and lemon every morning. Hopefully it does the trick. I'm tired of pepto bismol, Immodium AD and all the side effects. http://www.yogawiz.com/blog/home-remedies/sulfur-and-egg-smelling-burps-causes-and-home-remedies.html
Suffering from all of the same symptoms for over a week now!  It started with severe stomach pains and constant vomiting. Went to the E.R. and after 6or 7 tests and being there for about 15hrs they had no answers for me.  The only thing they did was pump me full of pain and nausea meds which helped for the moment.. Ended up returning to the E.R. the following morning with the same symptoms and worse pain, more pain meds and tests and still no answers.. It hasn't completely gone away since and this started last wed evening. On sat evening the gross burps and diarrhea/ vomiting started to top it off I'm still in a crazy amount of pain!  I see the doc on Thursday morning so, if he has a diagnosis I will b sure to post it. I feel all of ur pain.... literally!
I've had this exact thing for about 6 months I get it about 3 times a month now :( im suffering as im typing now the horrible burps the pains&I just know I'll end up being sick :( I have a very bad phobia of being sick, its 25 to 4 in the morning the burps are that bad I cant sleep :( please anyone who could help id love you forever im only 18 I have a almost 6 month old baby and this egg burp thing controls my life im frightened to take my baby to mums an Todd incase this egg thing starts :'( id be so greatful for any advice or help please x
This is crazy how many people get this, i started to get it when i was 12 and am 18 not but I use to get it very often , everyother week or sometime much soon. It makes it difficult to do anything when I got sick. So I thought it was from chewing my nails and It went away for about 5 months and just recently I got it a couple weeks ago but I woke up having a horrid pain in my stomach then had to throw up normally I would have burps for a hour then throwing up the dierrea. Following with being bloated as well. So I went to the doctor and he said I have a digestion problem and after awhile it poisons my body which Is the same as food poisoning. So the only way to get this bad food pit of my system is to throw it up or out the other end. So to prevent it take two teaspoons of apple cider viniger
Had this problem for years. Didn't get better and my GPs kept acting like I was making it up. About 10 years later, I was finally diagnosed with Celiac. Since going gluten free, I've had no issues.
I have the same exact thing right now, And the only thing that seemed even close to fixing it was laying on my back. But of course the burps came, and now I'm gagging. I know the next time I burp i will vomit. >.<
I have the exact same symptoms too!  Episodes like those have been happening to me since I was eighteen, (Now 24) some weeks will be worse and sometimes I can go a month without it happening.  The horrendous tasting burps, feeling absolutely miserable, and then within the next couple of hours an episode of really violent vomiting, until my stomach is empty, followed closely by terrible diarrhea.  I've never known what to do except lay on the bathroom floor, and wait it out =(
my 8 y. old daughter suffers from this it starts with nasty burps followed by severe vomiting and diarrhea. Its been going on for 2 yrs. now weve been to 2 gastro specialist she was tested for bacteria, parasites, dieseases
shes been scoped top and bottom weve done allergy test and nothing comes up they said she may be lactose intolerant so we kept her away from anything that had lactose and it didnt help shes been hosiptalized already twice from this and misses alot of school i dont know what to do
I've had this problem for many years starting when i was really young. But here recently I started getting these burps with the vomitting and diarrhea every single night. For the most part it wouldn't hit me until the night or I would wake up with them no matter what I ate. I was miserable. I recently bought a bottle of extra strength probiotic and acidophilus. It contains Lactospore, Lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus plantarum, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Lactobacillus case. I take 1 capsule every night before going to bed and sometimes I take a couple tums with it if I've eaten something spicy. But the probiotic is actually working and I haven't had the burps since I've been taking them! It replaces the bad bacteria that's causing the burps with good bacteria we are supposed to have in our stomachs. It also helps control gas and i dont have excessive burping for no reason like I did. So I would definitely try it. It can't hurt anything. I really hope this helps because these burps are miserable.
How in the world can so many people have this problem and the doctors are baffled????

This is like anepidemic, this sulfur burps along with fbo, eveybody is complaining of the same symptoms, wtf.  It,s like a torture.  I read in some forums that its some kind of stomach virus called Rotavirus, that causes disbiosis in your gut.  I also noticed that in some forums certain replies to that problem have been deleted.  Must be some sort of cover up.  From my experiance i can say that betain hcl helps a lot with bloating and fbo. Apples also help.
These symptoms sound exactly like mine after dozens of false diagnosis I was finally diagnosed with Gastropareisis, do a search on it you might find it sheds some light on the situation and offer some helpful ways of maintaining the codition. For me nothing really helps once a bout occurs except not eating for long peiods of time. I have found metroclopramide and taking domperidone help to prevent attacks, however. Good luck to all
These symptoms sound exactly like mine after dozens of false diagnosis I was finally diagnosed with Gastropareisis, do a search on it you might find it sheds some light on the situation and offer some helpful ways of maintaining the condition. For me nothing really helps once a bout occurs except not eating for long peiods of time. I have found metroclopramide and taking domperidone help to prevent attacks, however. Good luck to all
I've had (or maybe still have since it hasn't happened in a few years) the same problem. Read what ROGH wrote, for he most likely has the correct answer to this syndrome. I started with these really foul, sulphur smelling belches that literally could clear a small room. I burped in a car and everybody had to roll down the windows. Then the diareah and non stop vomiting started. I had to go to the emergency room at the hospital because I was stuck in a dry heave! After blood tests and a very uncomfortable finger probe of my anus, the doctor told me I had gastro enteritis, which was or is caused by a stomach virus. Viruses cannot be killed like bacteria with anti biotics and I haven't had any symptoms for years so maybe the virus had run it's course. That's my 2 cents
I have these eggy burp and diahrrea always when i eat too much in one period ! First time i went to see a doctor he told me that i have the Helico bacter i had treatments for like one month and i lost 7 kgs the Helico bacter gone but i had the eggy burp again followed by diarrhea ! I went to see another doctor he made me have twice Endoscopy and there was nothing he told me ! He said it is just stress and he gave me Deanxit pills plus Nexium and Ganaton ! But it never helped me i always have the eggy burp again .. I tried to stop eating after 6:00 pm and it helped me a lot !!! But i cant do it always cz i feeel starving all the time ... I wish one day they will find the solution for this problem because its so embarassing (((((
I know everyone's feels. I've been having this since I was probably about nine. (I'm 18 now) usually Zantac or omapremazole will help but I've taken 3 Zantac in less than 24 hours and I've still got the burps. I've been suppressing them because if I burp I will most definitely vomit and I've been sick one too many time already this year.
I just tried baking soda and water and so far it seems like my body is trying expel the air that's trapped. I'm hoping that if I do get sick, it'll stop it all completely. I hate this because it literally just ruins anything I want to do. (And trying to do CPR compressions, well it makes it impossible almost, I did a CPR class today to get certified)
Think we all need to demand some answers from our doctors. Good luck to everyone! Cause this crap *****.
I've had this for a few years and have went to the gastrointestinal he never heard of it but I can tell you that it is caused by eating foods that make you thirsty and not drinking water my suggestion is try drinking as much water as poss wen you eat foods that make you thirsty but if you do get the burps immediately take a Zantac and drink a few bottles of water and it shud stop in like an hour do not drink ginger ale or any thing carbonated wen you get the burps cause that makes it worse so to try preventing it drink water and to stop it wen you get it take aantac and drink water and also go to the bathroom wen ever poss wen you get it
Vinegar will solve this problem. White vinegar shot glass full...or you can jug down some pickle juice even eat a pickle
I had this for a couple decades, started when I was 18 and ended 4 years ago. I am 41.
I found out I have severe and life threatening food allergies. Went to an allergist to get tested and sure enough! I tried everything everyone above suggested, been tested for bacterias and been on Zantac/ Prilosec for years and nothing ever helped and I never had any bacteria.
Since 2010 I have not had ONE episode. This is the longest I have gone without one since age 18. These episodes even started preterm labor in two of my pregnancies!
This may not be the answer for everyone but please don't brush it off. Just because you may not have the same reaction every time doesn't rule it out. I now carry an epi pen and medication for a reaction.
I have been suffering from the same thing for several years. I'm 37 years old. I have been trying to find a solution to this for the past year and a half. I had a low back injury when I was 24 that required surgery. I've suffered with low back and leg pain ever since. It seems off topic, bear with me. I recently got a free cervical spine scan and found out I had some serious misalignment issues. An injury that was never diagnosed after a car accident 15 years ago.The misalignment was crushing my spinal cord causing several problems throughout my body. My low back and leg pain being one of them. Another, upset stomach with nausea, rotten egg  burps, diarrhea, etc.  The problem? The vagus nerve. A nerve that affects the stomach.
Get an exam from a cervical spine specialist. If your vagus nerve has pressure on it, it could be causing you problems.

I have only had four visits so far but when I saw my x-rays and learned what my cervical spine injury was doing, I was shocked. It will take time to correct all the symptoms throughout my body but I am already seeing results.
It's worth a try.