Gastroenterology Community
Round Yellow Object in Stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Round Yellow Object in Stool

4943700?1254764681
I recently got an all clear result on stool samples by my doctor.  However, that did not clear up what the round dark yellow objects (size and shape of a chick pea) that I've been passing in my stools are.  I started noticing them in loose stools within the past couple of months.  Don't know how long they've been there.  Usually 1 per bowel movement.  I do not consume anything that resembles these objects.  The inside holds a powder-like substance.  I am experiencing some nausea here and there.  I take 1 tri-sprintec birth control pill and 1 Prestiq daily @ bedtime.  When I began noticing these I think I was taking Cymbalta rather than Prestiq.  Neither the birth control pill or the Prestiq resemble this object.  Any clues?  
I would show the pic to the doc.  I would think it is your pill since powder is inside.  Maybe it is not being digested and stool is around it.  
My doctor's office called today to refer me to a local gastroenterologist to find out what the objects are for sure.  Thanks, yes, I'll definately take pics to show him when I go and they'll send any test results they have (which were all clear) as well.  I'll have to try to figure out exactly when I started the Prestiq to see if there is a connection.  I'm still curious to see if anyone else out there has had anything similar happen.
I am getting such small pea-size white and light yellow balls in my stools for around 2-3 months. But after giving these balls to the pathology labs 2 times, nothing much came out. Their report said that it is normal and any parasite or its cyst were absent in those balls. These pictures will definately help me to explain better to my doctor. I am really concerned because so far nothing have worked to diagnose these balls.

Thanks for the information
N Kumar
I cant belive i found this story i take one prestiq a day and pass the same round yellow piece thrue my bowels i guess its the pill..!!!!!!!
I have something very similar that is going on. It only happens once every few months. I get some diarrhea and pass one yellow grape this has happened 3 times now. I have eaten anything that looks like this and I do not swallow my food whole. I smashed it open and it looked like powdery substance. I take ibrupophen, wellbutrin, and generic nexium (the only one in a capsule). I have a hard time believing that it would be any of these because it does not resemble any of them. I don’t have any insurance and cannot go to a doctor and couldn’t afford any tests if I did. What did your doctor say?
I also take extended release generic wellbutrin and today passed a roundish-oval white ball with stool (separate from the stool), about the size of a penny.  I am thinking it may be the undigested pill but I'm dissolving one now to see if it ends up even looking similar and no luck yet.  This has never happened before, although I am being evaluated for pancreatic insufficency due to chronic diarrhea for the past 2 years, in addition to upper right quadrant abdominal pain with meals.  So far the only significant lab finding has been steatorrhea.  Today's "discovery" is kinda freaking me out!
I found the exact same thing in my stool today for the first time and it freaked me out! It was yellow like yours, almost like a pod of some sort, about the size of a grape. Inside was a white substance. I am not on any medications, so I know that it's not from a pill of any kind. I'm wondering if it could be a fatty deposit, or maybe a polyp of some sort? I would appreciate you updating on anything you find out.
Okay, now I am puzzled.  I just took for granted that this was an undigested pill.  I have not discussed this further with any doctor because it seems that none of them are taking this seriously.  The gastro just kind of shrugged and chuckled.  But, since you are not on any medications at all it makes me very curious as to what this might be.  Maybe it is time to "ask Dr. Oz!!!!!!"  Thank you all for your comments.
I recently went to the bathroom and also noticed a small yellow shaped pod in my stool filled with white powder. I have been on pristiq for a year but was wondering if that was the cause. This is only the second time I have notice it in a year but am very curious as to what cause these.any additional info would be appreciated.
I dont really have any knowledge about this at all, but is there any way it could be gallstones which you've managed to pass? I know they can get out into your digestive tract. May be a question for the doctor!
Actually, if you google gallstone in stool, the pictures look quite similar to your item!
Found them today.  Had loose stool.  Passed two of them.  Thought they were just corn, but couldn't recall having any corn in the past few days, and these were more spherical like a pea.  It wasn't hard, and there was white stuff inside (didn't catch if it was powdery or not).  Sounds similar to what you folks have seen.

Had my GB taking out about 5 years ago.  Am on Welbutrin, Celexa, Concerta during the day, Ambien at night.  On and off I've had trouble with diarrhea and cramping.  Figured it was due to bile not getting saved up but just getting dumped into my digestive tract.

Wondering what it will turn out to be.

I did the same thing today in passing a roundish yellow pea-sized one.  I take Bupropion (generic for Wellbutrin), which is white.  It looked exactly the same -- only yellow.  Cannot figure out if my body simply did not digest it.  

Also have done liver & gallbladder cleanse in the past -- where I have passed yellow and green stones that are similar to this.  However, they were not the exact shape of the Buproprion.  
im so relieved to know its the pristiq and not parasites or anything!
I have been searching like crazy to figure this out. i thought i had a 30 ft monster in me and i eat all organic super healthy. that object above is what ive been seeing for months and ive been on pristique since last dec
Ummmm, anyone had any orange juice with pulp lately???
For the first time tonight I noticed the small pea sized yellow ball that is the same size that most people are describing, that of a chick pea.  I too thought it was corn, but have not eaten any corn in many months.  I have taken Wellbutrin and Ambien for 6 weeks now. I am 5 feet 6 inches and 185 lb female. I am physically active and have no known health issues and healthy bowel movements. I get physicals once a year. I have no pain. The outer layer of the ball was a bit thicker than a condom but of the same rubber consistency. The pasty inner was yellow and smelled like feces. If anyone has additional information please post.  I have not went to the doctor about it b/c tonight is the first time I have found it.
Look up Giardia
They are gallstones, not pills.  They can be various colors, shapes, and sizes.  They can be dried inside or wet, just depends on how old they are.  Google "cholesterol gallstones" images and you will see lots of photos.
check for gall stones. if you are dehydrated the inside can look like powder. mine started about 9 months ago on vacation after eating greasy foods. I felt sick and noticed a roundish pod a bit larger than a pea and inside was yellow powder. after that I began passing small seed like things, and other yellowish pieces inside the stool. I just got an abdominal ultrasound and it shows gallstones. my liver is also fatty and enlarged. right upper quadrant pain for the past month. bloated or distended abdomen. appt with surgeon in 2 days.... I hope this helps someone!
I've also noticed the same round yellow mushy ball in my stool just recently. And I think its because of a new med I'm taking for acne, skinb5. It started appearing only after 2 days of taking the med. SkinB5 has an advanced time release formula, maybe that new formulation causes this stuff on my stool. I don't feel any abdominal pain or anything.

I want to know if other people taking skinB5 also experience this, and whether this is a cause of concern.
I work as an X-Ray med tech at a family practice, and I too passed a yellow-chickpea looking object white in the middle several months ago. It actually occured one day while at work so I was able to collect object and sent out to Pathology Lab. I also take Pristiq and have been for 6 months. Turns out any medication that has extended, time, or control release has a special coating on it-almost like a shell that release the medicine but once medicine is gone its genetic makeup changes forms in the digestive system. It changes color because of the cholesterol that gets attached to it and the shape changes as it slowly makes it through the digestive system. Then to test my theory I took 2 laxatives and 1 hour later took my pristiq, within 4 hours my stomach was ready to empty after fasting all day, liquid diet. Sure enough after I finished I looked and there floating was the Pristiq and since it had only been in my stomach 4 hours it still had same shape as there was not enough time for it to change form. So this solves the mystery, Passing Gallstones is very painful  so if you have no pain it is from medication, if you have severe pain its a gallstone. Hope this answers everyones question, I know it drove me crazy for sometime...Brandy B. XMT
I have been on pristiq now for almost a year and I have always had problems having a bowel movement. Well I started taking laxatives so that i can go everyday and I noticed the small round yellow things in my movement. The first one I found was connected together with another one. It was strange to me because I haven't consumed anything that looks even close to these things. But I find it very interesting that you have them too and we are both taking pristiq. Maybe that's what it is..but it doesn't make much sence because my pills are square and these things are round and a little bigger than my pills.
If you happen to pass something in your stool and you are on extended-release or time-release capsules (i.e. Pristiq), it is very likely that patients can shed a "shell" in their stool that can resemble the medication they are taking. By the time you see it in your stool, your body should have absorbed all of the medication that was contained in the capsule.

I would still double-check especially if you are experiencing pain while passing substances in your stool, if you notice any weird inconsistencies in your stool and especially if you have any blood in your urine or stool.

For patients who have a colostomy bag, you will likely see the "shell" as well.
Bed pan bullets.

That's the term for the empty shell left over. After the extended release drug has gone through your GI tract, the casing remains. This is supposed to happen. If you are seeing powder in the "bullet", it might be a tiny bit that didn't get absorbed. If you are seeing a lot of a pill, your GI tract may be moving to quickly, usually causing diarrhea. The pills will look bigger like they are water-logged. Think about where they've just been? If you feel like you are not receiving full benefit from your medication due to passing the pill too quickly, talk to your doctor. Many drugs come in more immediate release forms.

Patients with ostomys should not take extended or sustained release drugs since they are through the tract before the pill has time to dissolve.
So was the pill being digested and metabolized releasing the drug into your system, or was the pill passing through?  I am wondering if I am getting the benefit of taking the pill or not?
Residual Inert Matrix Tablet

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm088985.pdf

It is the 'casing' from the extended release prestiq.  Thought I had gallstones, but since having gallbladder removed, still have these.
Hmmm, I dont really have an answer for you BUT.....in most cases, the little pea sized balls or what have you...are generally little gall stones.......... the yellow grape like thing.............I have no idea. I see this is common for some. Perhaps it could be a different type of gall stone..........do any of you have upper R quadrant pain before they appear in the stool?  
1st  of all, it is RARE that you will find a dr. who will even acknowelege the natural passing of gall stones. I've been on 2 liver/gallbladder cleanses and passed a handful of stones. The dr. said it had to be something I took on the cleanse..........but it was only raw juices and teas and the night of the flush, olive oil and lemon juice.  

The other things I know to look out for are parasites and polyps/tumors.

Have them test them for each.
By the way, I believe there are 4 different types of gall stones as there are kidney stones. You will need a natural laboratory if your regular physician wont test for that. BUT they should freely test for parasites and polyps/tumor/ or carcinogens.
I believe they are gall stones.
Research gall bladder cleanse for photos. There are different colors and shapes.
I have always had a problem with constipation.  This time I took some tea cleanser.   I do not take Pristiq.   But the shape is like a cone,  round on one side, and flat (squared off on opposite side of what looked like a piece of corn at first,  same color. Very hard, but I didn't try to smash or open it.  
Thats so weird, because I have experienced the same thing shortly after taking Pristiq. So I guess we both anwsered each others question. Thanks for posting, now I dont need to keep track of everything I am eating. So I guess you dont need to worry either. :) weird how its a dry powder in the yellow ball though... kind of gross if you ask me lol. Cheers.
did you find out what this was??
I HAD A WHOLE LOT OF THEM TONIGHT LIKE TWENTY IN A BOWEL MOVEMENT. IN THE PAST LIKE ONE OR TWO BUT MAYBE THEY ARE ;PARASITES EGGS OR SOMETHING CAUSE I TOOK WORMWOOD FOR TWO DAY.
I've got an even more odd description.  On occasion, with no regularity, I will poop what looks like a large fish oil capsule.  I don't take fish oil.  I do take some meds, but nothing that looks like this, certainly not this size.  As disgusted as I was, I fished one out of the toilet once, and placed it on toilet tissue in the trash can.  The next day, it had completely dried flat (no powdery substance) and was bloody.  Wth???
WOW!  I have experienced this same problem for a very long time and could not figure it out.  Like you, it does look like the oblong yellow omega 3-6-9 pill that I take daily as a dietary supplement.  I wonder if that is it?  I have never braved "fishing" it out of the toilet to investigate, but I might do that to satisfy my curiosity...  Perhaps I will stop the fish pill for awhile to see if it goes away. Thanks for your insight!
I have been having the exact same thing happen for months.I have been on Pristiq for about a year and had my gallbladder removed about 4 months ago due to gallstones.I was brave enough to take one out of the toilet and open it up.It looked exactly like a piece of burnt corn on the outside with a coating typical to a piece of corn.When i smushed it,a white substance resembling feta cheese was inside.there was no odor. I get one every couple of days..

On a couple of websites people say it is Giardia.

Thanks to everyone who posted but it would be helpful to post a follow up after you have been seen by a DR.
These 'things' in your stools are the shells of your time-release tablets (Such as Pristiq)! When you start a new medication, do you not read the important information provided? If you did, you would have realised that it is completely normal to see the left over tablet shell in the toilet bowl. (Of course it's going to look different to the original look of the tablet - it's been slowly digesting in your intestines!)
but if you are getting them and there is still the white powder substance inside of them then obviously the medication must not be dissolving into your body dont you think and what would you suggest to that........... cause that shouldnt happen???
no they are not. they are pills. this happens quite often with pristiq.

Reading this forum i saw your comment.. And I'm taking welbutrin too, and since i had to increase the dose i have this too.. So i guess it's relied to it..  Ill ask the doctor

Ow God. I finally found someone with the same problem. I am on PRISTIQ for 5 year, so it can be that.

My doctor said he has no idea what it can be

But what makes me worried is that one person here said he has the same ball without using pristiq.

Moreover, it cant be pristiq because when sometimes I forget to have it at night I have horrible nightmares..  So if it was passing straight thought my intestine, I woundnt be sleeping at night.

well from what i'm hearing the majority consensus is that it is pills or gallstones for the corn like objects, as i'm on none of the meds any of you have mentioned and in mine is more of the odd one out that no one has seemed to explain, a light yellow grape sized and shaped object, i had the nerve to fish it out, and to dissect. detailed description is as follows, a leathery light yellow covering of a 1 1/4 inch long and 3/4 inch with. shape and size of a larger grape. upon opening the material has a dough like consistency with a white center, being 1/2 inch in length, 1/4 inch in with. the consistency of center area is denser than the outer surroundings, yet still has some doughy consistency. haven't eaten grapes for years, and no food i have digested has ever looked like this. i have had the corn shaped objects before, and can attest that most evidence for those does point toward gallstones, yet i see no evidence to prove that for these objects. I do hope that this information can at least clarify things a little for those having these issues so they may be able to get answers.
Oh my gosh! Please tell me what u learn. I also take Wellbutrin extended & have had chronic pain in left abdomen . I have had a hysterectomy because of the pain from what seems like a million cysts & endometriosis. I feel gross saying it, but pulled out a yellow circle like tablet from my stool, when I squeezed it a puss like substance came out. Please let me know what u learn. So glad to hear its happened to someone else!
Thank heaven you posted that comment. Like the others that posted (though i'm just finding this post years later), I've had test after test after test. No doctor has ever offered to look at these objects i tell them i pass quite frequently and for a long time now., years. I've had awful stomach problems for ages, and sometimes have been diagnosed with gallbladder problems, so your comment about these objects with the powdery substance looking like the gallstone pics has really helped me out. For that matter, this entire thread has helped. Thank you! P.s. for others reading this, I do not take, nor have I ever taken Pristique, so I honestly do not think these objects in the stool are related to Pristique, however, wonder if Pristique could be causing gallbladder issues to cause more stones ?I'll be showing this thread to my doctor.
Thank you for posting that comment. I do not take the prescription a lot of these posters have mentioned, i only take natural supplements and a heart pill, but i suffer from gall bladder attacks, no doctors ever mentioned these could pass through my stool, even though they know i struggle with them and I've mentioned the objects in my stools to them. None of them have ever asked to see them either. So I will definitely show them the pics I found when I googled gallstones in stool. Thank you so much!
I was just excited to hear that another reader said gallstones in stool resemble these things, that I've been plagued with also, and now I see you have similar things going on but no gallbladder, so I'm not sure what it is now... in addition to all the digestive trouble i have, gall bladder attacks, cramping, diarrhea constantly for years and years with a few breaks here and there. There's no rhyme or reason to what causes my digestive stress, have had many tests and been cleared, but my natural doctor needs more tests that I'm having trouble affording to see if I have certain infections or not that may cause some of this trouble. I'll post more to the thread when i find out more. Thanks for your comment.
Nope, don't drink orange juice it's too harsh for my stomach with all the problems i have. Don't take prisique either like some of the posters. I do suffer from gall bladder attacks, kidney stones and lots of other stomach distress issues.
I thought so too, until I saw the poster up above that said he/she had their gallbladder removed 5 years ago and still has those objects in the stool...
I would tend to agree with you but there is a poster above who doesn't have his/her gallbladder anymore but still has those objects, as well as one poster who said he/she doesn't take any medications whatsoever? Would it still be gallstones if there's no gallbladder? And i get these objects even during months/weeks that I'm not taking any supplements, but I do always have to take metformin. cardizem and offbrand zyrtec for severe allergies. I'm going to keep reading on this post thread, since it's such a long one, but just wanted to respond to yours and then I'll keep up with answers. Thanks!
Thank you for your answer. This makes a lot of sense and I will speak to my doctor about it, but I still have that nagging question about one of those earlier people who posted in this thread that they don't take any medications whatsoever and still have those same yellowish objects in their stool with a powdery or white inside. Still trying to figure it out but your comment does help.
Happened to me.. Not on any of those meds. I've been thinking I have gallbladder issues, so gallstones would make sense.
Sorry to mix things up a bit...
Unfortunately, I'm often in close proximity to not only my stool, but also the boy I recently potty trained and the 3 cats. I've seen the yellow objects in all of the above. :/

One cat often poops on the floor of the garage, rather than her litter box, so I got a clean view (not obstructed by kitty litter) when I cleaned up after her. It was bright golden yellow and looked like an unpopped popcorn kernel.

I've seen the same form in my son's stool & mine. Sometimes, the kernel is more ball shaped & a bit larger and appears super sticky like honey or sap yes, I've fished these out of the toilet too!).

All the kids & I have tested negative for parasites 3 times. It's only been happening for the last year & it's driving me crazy trying to identify what it is. I'm pretty sure the kid, the cat & I don't all have gall stones, and none of us are on Prestiq. ;)

???
I have found in my stool mixed in with my poop a small tan coloured ball roughly the size of a pea, I'm 16 years old, and I've been to the doctors for stomach aches and they don't know why I am getting them, would this be a symptom of something surveyor? I also have haemorrhoids and I get blood in my stool at times with mucus I'm quite scared that it could be colon cancer even with my age  
This just happened to me today -- the first time I am aware of. Was there a diagnosis for your problem? I also do not eat anything resembling this. I am not currently and have never taken any of the medication you mentioned.
My guess was a fatty deposit...as mine resembled the look of such a thing.
After reading the comments, I do believe it to be some pills that are not being digested . I am on Metformin and the yellow objects that are in my stool also has a white powdered substance inside. After I fished one out and cut it open, the only thing similar to it that I take is the Metformin and I take four a night, which is about what I pass. The coating on the outside probably builds up while sitting or working it's way through the digestive tract. I think that it is as simple as some of the medication (pills) that we take are not being broke down and absorbed as they should and is passing straight through the digestive system. I will follow this up with my Endocrinologist.
i dont think they are gallstones as i get the same thing and i had my gallbladder removed 3 yrs ago...  so if you ever do figure it out i would b interested in knowing too
I also am on metformin ER and have noticed these throughout the 15 years I have been on it. I never realized until today what it actually was. I only notice it with loose stools and it is usually the amount of pills that I took (I take 2 in the monring and 2 at dinner).  They look just like the shape of the pill but larger (water logged I would guess) and can take on different colors (typically yellow, but have seen red from eating too many red sugar free gummys).  
Yes, I noticed twice now & the only reason was my toilet is broken & had almost overflown twice now & I saw the small yellow object on the surface of the water. I didn't bother the first time, just thought it was something I ate, but when I saw it a second time, I had to check it. I had the exact same thing, it was a powder that came out. It has to be medication, it was kind of shaped like the welbutrin I take but a lot smaller, like it must have had a very thick coating on it, but I took it 24 hours before, I cannot understand why it wouldn't be dissolved!?I can't see what else it could be either....... ?
I take welbutrin as well and it happened to me twice now & today i checked it out, i took it 24 hours before so it should have dissolved but it only resembles my wellbutrin, its much smaller as if the wellbutrin had a very thick coating, i also opened it to find powder. i havent checked other times, i only notciced twice bc my toilet was broken an overflown, if it is then the pill cant be working or doing its job....
sorry guys, first time on this, i thought my replies would go to ppl individually, didnt mean to keep telling my story! sorry:))
I have had severe abdominal pain off and on with diarrhea and constipation back and forth.  I started noticing these grape shaped objects floating in the toilet.  There was also excessive mucous, yellowish color and foul smell.  I got one out of the toilet and cut it in half.  It was like cutting into a thick jello and the inside was a white, ricotta cheese like substance.  I too take Pristiq but I've been taking that for years and these just now started showing up.  I had an EUS(endoscopy Ultrasound)and the Dr. said I had rotting food in my gut and had gastroparesis.  I'm having the EUS done again on the 12th and will see what that shows.  Can't believe anyone else has this problem.  
I also have had these same oval shaped objects in my stool. Upon inspection of one it had a white substance inside. I have to admit I am a bit freaked out. I have been having diarrhea for about four days now following a day of what I thought to be a stomach bug. (vomiting and diarrhea) I also am taking welbutrin but have been on it for a while now. I really am glad to know I am not the only one and hope to learn more soon. Will keep you updated.
I take a lot of vitamins, many of which (particularly the amino acids) are in clear capsules with white powder, and have been doing so for many months. I just had a bowel movement after having some slight discomfort in my upper left abdominal area after bending over a lot and picking up things, and I stood up and noticed I had what I called a "snake egg" floating in the water. It was the size of a grape, leathery looking, and very pale yellow... therefore... "snake egg" is what I called it. It looked a lot like this snake egg pic. http://m7.i.pbase.com/o6/76/500676/1/82685607.LoVTisTG.egg.jpg You could also compare it to banana flavored laffy taffy. http://www.candywarehouse.com/assets/item/regular/Laffy-Taffy-banana-im-1308111.jpg I imagine based on the things I read here, that it is likely the result of the large number of vitamins and amino acids I take. I didn't fish it out of the toilet, but I did take a pic on my phone, and I was able to push it toward the front of the bowl w/ a single piece of toilet paper very easily, so it was very lightweight and floaty. Regarding some of the concerns of people responding, I don't believe it had anything to do with gallstones or liver stones. I coincidentally did a liver cleanse involving epsom salt, olive oil, and grapefruit among other things 2 or 3 weeks ago (Dr. Clark's recipe), and liver and gallstones are a lot different than this. They look more like raw peanuts (out of the shell) and some look just as green as the felt on a pool table. They aren't snake eggish, and at least regarding my late 20s self--the gall and liver stones were much, much smaller than this snake egg thing haha.
Here's the actual image I took on my phone. Don't worry, I don't think it's very gross at all. It's more weird. http://imgur.com/yj8Nl9v or [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yj8Nl9v.jpg[/IMG] And also, through my research, which led me to this site and this topic, I did see one other thing that sounded similar until I researched it. If you have basically this but it's a brown, red, orange, or other color, research "casein in stool". I don't think that's what mine is related to, even though I do drink nearly a quart of milk every day. I'm pretty sure it must have something to do with my vitamins, most likely the BCAA or Glutamine amino acids, since the BCAA in particular almost looks like this... though not quite as large.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers