Gastroenterology Community
Roux en-Y Gastric Bypass and Colonoscopy

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had my gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago and it's time for my colonoscopy.  Are there special precautions I should take in selecting the doctor to perform it.  I'd heard that they should be extra special since the intestines have been re-routed.  After all the good things that happened, I certainly don't want any damage done.
With a Roux-en-Y only the small intestines are re-routed. Nothing is done with the large intestine which will be the focus of the colonoscopy. It may be a bit difficult to drink all of the prep, however. So you may have to take a longer period of time for the actual prep portion of the test. Talk to your doc about that.