Ruptured Spleen during Colonoscopy? You're on your own...
Dr AJ Bidani ruptured my spleen during a routine colonoscopy, when I woke, I was in a great deal of left shoulder pain, but the staff told me to pass the gas and tried to get me up to get dressed. I was dizzy, but they dressed me anyway and then I passed out. When I came to, I was receiving fluid, ice pack on my abdomen and the doctor said "maybe I bumped her spleen". I did not stablize and  was rushed to the ER, in shock, bleeding internally, received 2 units of blood and my spleen had to be removed. This complication is exceedlingly rare and happens because excessive force is applied to the colonic-splenic ligament during the scoping of the transverse colon. It is not even listed in the informed consent document he had me sign. I am left now without a spleen, a compromised immune system and paying the medical bills he caused. So far the case has been turned down by 7 firms. One atty told me MedMal in FL is next to impossible. I filed a complaint with the FL Medical Quality Assurance and also an appeal to my insurance company. He seems untouchable in this - it was his surgical error, yet no one is holding him accountable.  I went in there with a spleen, he ruptured it to the point it had to be removed, isn't there a reasonable man theory here? Or is it reasonable to assume you may end up like me when you have a colonoscopy. By the way, this was my second colonoscopy - the first was done by another Doc without incident.
keep fighting it and make him pay. It is ridiculous what these doctors can get away with sense George Bush passed the law that hasto go in front of a panel of doctors to decide whether it is worthy of a law suit. how ironic is that?
The same thing happened to me. With the same result. Splenectomy after my spleen was ruptured during a ROUTINE CONOLOSCOPY! no lawyer will fight for me either!!
Me too!! Doctor's can get away with murder, and call it a "complication", and you are left to pat for their mistake.  It's not fair!!! Over a year of my life as I knew it was taken away from me, as they left my spleen to heal on its own. But God forbid if I fell or got hit in my spleen and bled to death. Then what, a wrongful death lawsuit?  Loss of work, many, many CT scans. Did you know that one CT scan is equivalent to 400 x-rays?  I Must've had at least 10 CT scans, numerous blood draws. Several trips to the hospital,  which costs us a lot of money in gas since we live quite a ways away from the hospital.  Pychological distress, worrying if my big blood filled sack would  explode and kill me. I'm so pissed off. Can't get any lawyer to take my case and now I'm getting sued for my portion of my hospital bill after my insurance paid. 7500 dollars!!!! I told them lawyers to send that bill to the doctor who screwed me up. She's the one that owes that money, not me!