Gastroenterology Community
Ruptured Spleen during Colonoscopy? You're on your own...
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ruptured Spleen during Colonoscopy? You're on your own...

Dr AJ Bidani ruptured my spleen during a routine colonoscopy, when I woke, I was in a great deal of left shoulder pain, but the staff told me to pass the gas and tried to get me up to get dressed. I was dizzy, but they dressed me anyway and then I passed out. When I came to, I was receiving fluid, ice pack on my abdomen and the doctor said "maybe I bumped her spleen". I did not stablize and  was rushed to the ER, in shock, bleeding internally, received 2 units of blood and my spleen had to be removed. This complication is exceedlingly rare and happens because excessive force is applied to the colonic-splenic ligament during the scoping of the transverse colon. It is not even listed in the informed consent document he had me sign. I am left now without a spleen, a compromised immune system and paying the medical bills he caused. So far the case has been turned down by 7 firms. One atty told me MedMal in FL is next to impossible. I filed a complaint with the FL Medical Quality Assurance and also an appeal to my insurance company. He seems untouchable in this - it was his surgical error, yet no one is holding him accountable.  I went in there with a spleen, he ruptured it to the point it had to be removed, isn't there a reasonable man theory here? Or is it reasonable to assume you may end up like me when you have a colonoscopy. By the way, this was my second colonoscopy - the first was done by another Doc without incident.