Gastroenterology Community
SEVERE bloating/diarrhea/nausea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SEVERE bloating/diarrhea/nausea

I have been experiencing severe bloating and diarrhea. It started five days ago when after eating a sandwich I started feeling nauseous. I drank some ginger-ale and felt a little better. I went ahead with my night plans and went out for a few drinks. The next morning I experienced extreme nausea--due to the previous night i blamed this on the alcohol. That's when I started throwing up--three times that day which lead to severe dehydration. Anytime I drank anything, water/tea/coffee/ginger ale/etc, I got nauseous and threw up. When I ate, I was able to keep down a little bit of water but later in the day I experienced severe diarrhea. My urine was unusually dark and sank to the bottom of the toilet.This continued for a couple days until my dad insisted I go to the doctor. While there, they tested my urine and did the usual check up  routine. They put me on an IV and game liquids and anti-nausea medication. They diagnosed me with gastroenteritis. They told me to wait it out and that my body had to fight it on its own. They suggested a bland diet, and that I continue hydrating, and (now with the medicine I would not have to throw up every time I had a drink of water.) The nausea got a lot better, but the diarrhea has not stopped and is very painful. Also, the day after my doctor visit, I started experiencing SEVERE bloating every time I would eat anything. The pain got worst when I tried to take my dog for a walk, I had to come back after a few minutes of being outside and walking slowly and I barely made it up the steps. The bloating has continued and is even getting worst. Usually I feel better when I wake up--but as soon as I eat anything I feel the bloating start. I'm taking summer classes, and I can barely walk from the parking lot to the buildings. My belly looks like my 8 month pregnant sister in law and it is hard as a rock when I'm bloated--it takes HOURS for the bloating to go down, which mostly occurs while I sleep overnight. The diarrhea continues and the pain from it is still getting worst. I don't know what to do, and I feel helpless. I don't have insurance so I'd like to avoid unnecessary testing and doctor visits. Is there anything I can do at home on my own? Also, I have tried to watch my diet and see if a particular type of food was causing more bloating and diarrhea, but it looks like it is the same for all food types. What do you think? Should I go back to the doctor or simply wait it out and try to deal with the pain? Oh, I also tried over the counter anti-gas medicine, pepto-bismol, anti-acids, etc. Please help me!

Thank you,
Maria