Gastroenterology Community
SGOT, SGPT

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SGOT, SGPT

On a recent liver profile my SGOT was 265 and my SGPT was 95.  My doctor keeps saying recheck in one month.  What do high levels of SGOT and SGPT indicate and what else can I do to take care of this problem?  This has been going on for 10 years.

This discussion is related to Elevated SGOT/SGPT.
You need to learn more about this and sit down with your doc and discuss it. Go to medicinenet.com. Type Liver Blood Tests into the search box, then when the new page pops up, go down the page in the middle and hit the link to Liver Blood Tests. You're looking for ALT and AST which are the more typically uses abbreviations for the terms you used.

Take a look at what the enzymes 'do', and what the normal and elevated ratios mean.

10 years is a long time to go without getting an answer, and if you've asked questions of this doc before this, I'd suggest you find someone else to work with.
ERCP-  Do you know what this test shows?
A recent CT showed NO TUMORS, NO MASS in liver.
Very worried.
Please help!
An ERCP is a test in which a small tube is passed into the common bile duct through the duodenum. They can advance the tube through that duct to 'look' at the walls and take take biopsies, if necessary. They can also advance it into the first part of the pancreas to see if that duct is open, or if there are any changes to the cells lining the pancreatic duct.

An ERCP can also 'pick up' any debris or stones that are found in the ducts.

When an ERCP is coupled with manometry (pressure reading - and that's something that should be done with an ERCP depending on what the symptoms are - can tell a doc whether or not the pressures in the common bile duct are higher than normal. Higher than normal pressures can cause a lot of problems.

An ERCP is an invasive test and it carries with it a risk of pancreatitis, so you need to thoroughly discuss this test with your doc and make sure he's thinking of stenting you after the test. It can cut the risk of pancreatitis.