Gastroenterology Community
SMA new dx

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SMA new dx

My sister is 29, and has been recently diagnosed with SMA syndrome by a general surgeon after having a GI series done.  She has been in and out of hospital for the last 1-2 yrs with frequent nausea, dehydration, constipation, all of which was felt to be related to a non-healing ulcer, which was found approx 1.5 yr ago.
She is signif malnourished, weighing only about 92 lbs, and is prob 5 ft 7 inches.  
She is taking Nexium for the duodenal ulcer.  
With this new diagnosis of SMA, thought we were going to get some help.  The general surgeon recommended a feeding tube.  Supposedly the GI doc will not place it (this is all through my parents, so some info may be off).  Regardless, they just recommended she see a nutritionist.  
I want to help, but I am clueless as to where to start.  What type of doc typically treats this syndrome?  
Oh, and her symptoms seem to be worse when she has her period....any thoughts on that?
Thank you in advance for any info!