Gastroenterology Community
SMALL INTESTENAL BACTERIAL OVERGROOTH

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SMALL INTESTENAL BACTERIAL OVERGROOTH

I HAVE SMALL BOWELL SYNDROME,I HAVE STAYED AWAY FROM USING CHOLESTYRAMINE ON A FULL TIME BASIS[IT DOES SLOW BOWELLS BUT WITH A LOT OF LOWER PAIN] I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT COLESTIPOL WILL HELP ME,.MY BOWELL MOVEMENTS PER DAY ARE 6 TO 25 TIMES.I USE 60 MG, 4TIMES A DAY OF CODIENE TO HELP CONTROL THIS PROBLEM.
THE GOOD AND BAD OF THIS MEDICATION FOR ME PLEASE?
                                                                                                                 JOAN
Tags: Pain
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Do you have small intestinal bacteria overgrowth?  What do you mean by small bowel syndrome?  Why are you taking cholestyramine and colestipol?
I DO HAVE SIBO.
SHORT BOWELL SYNDROME IS A DESCRIPTION IN MED TERMS OF SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD EXSTENSIVE BOWELL SURGEY.I AM MISSING 85% OF MY SHORT BOWELL AND MY IL VALVE.
I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND A SOLUTION TO MY MANY DAILY BOWELL MOVEMENTS AND THE GASTR. SAY THESE TWO MEDS WILL HELP ME.THEY ARE NOT THE BEST MEDS AS FAR AS MY HEALTH GOES AND THEY DO WORK BUT CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS.
I think you are confusing the words "small" and "short" which mean different things.  Small bowel syndrome doesn't exist, but I know what short bowel syndrome is.  You can't be missing part of your "short bowel" but you can be missing part of your "small bowel".  What do you mean by IL valve?  Are you on treatment for the SIBO?  Do you know what your GI doctor is specifically trying to treat with the cholestyramine and colestipol?
SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION
I HAD EXTENSIVE SMALL BOWELL RESECTION.JEJUNUM TO RIGHT ASCENDING COLON, WHICH INCLUDES THE ILEOCECAL VALVE,APPROX 85% OF SMALL VALVE.
THIS LEADS ME WITH SHORT BOWELL SYNDROME.
I AM BEING TREATED FOR SIBO[VARIOUS ANTIBIOTICS EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS].
CHOLESTYRAMINE AND OR COLESTIPOL ARE USED FOR SLOWING DOWN BOWELL MOVEMENTS BUY BINDING BILE-ACID WITH A RESIN.