Gastroenterology Community
SOD diagnosis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SOD diagnosis

Hi everyone. I had a Hida Scan yesterday, and was diagnosed with Sphincter of Oddi. They haven't said what is causing the blockage in the bile duct. I am waiting for the doctor to call back. My question is, can my GI Doctor perform the procedure that needs to be done to take care of this. I have been sick since March and have had all the test, and have lost 13 pounds. I am in constant pain everyday. Does this need to be done right away, as they are backlogged here and I want to get this taken care of as soon as possible. Thank you for any info you can give me. By the way, I have been underweight all my life and this loss of weight has caused me to be so tired. I can't get out of my own way.
Please consider finding a doc that specializes in SOD. Most GI docs don't and you won't get the best of care for this condition, which can be difficult to treat. There's a group on yahoo (SOD group) that knows the best docs and the overall treatment protocols that should be used. Check with them.

Actually, a HIDA scan can't diagnose SOD. The only test that can be used to come up with a real diagnosis is an ERCP with manometry. So it makes me worry a bit to hear someone say they were 'diagnosed' via a HIDA scan.................
yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/sphincter-oddi-dysfunction.html

read this from iVillage
Thanks for your input. I meet with the doctor on the 27th and he is going over all the test results with me. I think the nurse spoke out of turn. Things are draining too slowly from the ducts, which I would guess means they are not plugged. My guess is that my body is to slow processing things and I am backing up? I will update as soon as I see the GI Doctor on the 27th. Thanks again.