Gastroenterology Community
SULFUR BURPS and vomiting

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

SULFUR BURPS and vomiting

I have seen countless posts on the Sulfur burps and vomiting.
Since i was young i've had stomach problems (i'm only 22 now).
I've was dignosed with Acid Reflux when i was 11. Since October i've been having the Bad tasting sulfur burps, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain.
It starts out as the "burps" then i get severly nauseated and immediatly know i will be throwing up within the next 10-12 hours. this started out as (about) once a month and has progressed into 1-2 times a week.  I am missing one day a week of work (atleast) and it is causing me to miss out on day-to-day life with my husband and two year old!  
I recently went to a specialist and got a "Scope" done along with a few biopsies... everything came back fine. I go in Monday for an "ultrasound".
I have found that taking 2 phenergan and sleeping helps but only sometimes.
I am starting to think i may have a lactose intolerance but am not certain.
HAS ANYONE BEEN DIAGNOSED BY A DOCTOR??
Kristina, try this:

1. Breath test for H. pylori infection of the stomach
2. Breath test for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).

Lactose intolerance or fructose malabsorption could also contribute to bacterial overgrowth, nausea and burping. In both conditions, bloating and diarrhea commonly appear.

What you can try before any test is:

1. Eliminate sulphur containing foods:
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/16645?personal_page_id=801

2. Have a 4 day lactose-free diet trial and if necessary another 4 day low-fructose diet trial.

Regarding your acid reflux history, I'd suspect H. pylori first though.

Kristina, I had the same exact symptoms as you for months and I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis. My doctor also told me to stay away from foods that contain "sulfur dioxide" because it initiates the sulfur burps. Try mentioning both the gastritis and sulfur dioxide to your doctor and see what he says. I now take Nexium and I've been symptom-free for months. I hope you get diagnosed!
Look into Giardia, parasite infection that causes all the above symptoms and is seen down here on the border of Mexico. Transmitted thru the water or thru stool contamination. Usually treated with Alina for three days. It is very contagious, and you can reinfect yourself very easily.
I have the exact same problem and still not diagnosed. I always know when I get the egg burps I'll be vomiting soon and for at least 12 hours. Vomit even smells like eggs. I become so sick! After it's passed I'm layer up for days with a sore body and head from all the pressure with vomiting so much. When I take dexilant I still get gassy in my chest and get horrible upper stomach bloating and pain to the point where I look 6 months pregnant. Stress makes it worse or an empty stomach. I wish someone had an answer for these symptoms. My doctor looks clueless.
Hi, I too have been dealing with this for a few years.  I have been doing a lot of research and came across someone that is doing the charcoal?  I am not to familiar with it then another saying that taking Digestive Enzymes helped so I am going to research the Probiotic that also has the Digestive Enzymes in it and give that a shot.  I hope that this is the answer to so many miserable episodes of these attacks.  
I'm just now seeing all the comments on here. I discovered that it's an allergy/Intolerance to foods with high amounts of sulfur (garlic, onions, eggs) if I smell garlic or onions I get sick to my stomach and get a horrible headache... If I eat any of those 3 Thins.. Even a bite will cause the burps and vomiting.  Hope this helps yall that are experiencing the same thing.
I had these exact same symptoms and it was horrible. I found that taking a probiotic (you can find it at the drug store) or eating some plain yogurt every day completely cured me.
I started at a younge age with sulfer burps & gas.
But, it wasn't until I got pregnant, that the vomiting & diarrhea started. Now I get it 2-3x a week. Not fun at all. Now tonight, my son started with the burps, diarrhea & vomiting. Hes only 5. Im not sure what to do...
I've had this problem for years as well, usually 1-3 times a year though it occurred more often when I lived in Orlando FL. I've been through many tests; endoscopy, colonoscopy, many many stool samples, and food allergy testing.  All tests came back with clear results with no bacteria, ulcers, allergies, etc. None of the doctors were able to diagnose anything.

I can say medicines such as gas-X, nexium, tums, etc, never helped me; even prescription grade. I did find one specific thing that does help. As soon as I get the first sulfur burps, I rush to Walgreens to get the store brand version of pepto (real pepto doesn't work for me either). Bismuth Subsalicylate, I think it's just called Soothe? I take 2 tablets every 2-3 hours and it keeps all the symptoms at bay or to the minimum and gets rid of the sulfur burps altogether. So yeah, there is a little bit of throwing up and a little bit of diarrhea, but it's not bad and it's manageable rather than keeping me stuck in the bathroom for hours like it used to.
Hope this helps someone else!
OMG, I had no idea there were so may other people who had the same problem as me. Mine happens 4 or 5 times a year and seems to coincide with eating too much the night before. Its been going on since I was a teenager (33 now). Tums used to fix it as long as I caught it early, but lately its happening more often, without over eating and tums does nothing. Pepto tablets seem to do the trick now, hopefully they continue to work. I have never even considered asking my doctor about it because I figured they'd think I was crazy...lol. Has no one gotten a diagnosis?