Gastroenterology Community
Safety of Proton Pump Inhibitors
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Safety of Proton Pump Inhibitors

I am a 29 yr old male, had a superficial duodenal ulcer in 2005, My doc had suggested Rabeprazole sodium 20mg which worked well then, he suggested i use it when ever i felt stomach burning or nausea. I have been using Rabeprazole for 5 years now, was workin good, recently my symptoms were back and i started taking 2 doses 20mg each daily.

At the same time i started wondering the safety of these PPI's and found the below link which was very scary, FDA says PPIs might cause risk of fractures of the hip, wrist, and spine as per the below link

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213206.htm

Does rabeprazole also cause interefence with the bodys absorbtion of Vitamins D and calcium ?

Should i stop using Rabeprazole, any information would be useful