Gastroenterology Community
Self-Diagnosing Dyspepsia Instead of GERD.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have had this upper left abdominal pressure for 3 1/2 weeks now. intially it was pressure on the entire left side but than prilosec relieved some of the lower abdominal pressure. My doctors think I am stressed, and personally I know I am not stressed I know my stress level and compared to my years passed I am taking it easy this year [ I use to have acne problems due to stress but I have cleared up and i know I am stressed when i start to break out] I know i am suppose to give the PPI 4 weeks to work, but in that time i have lost weight {almost size three to 0, 110 now 102} , and have pains right under my left rib cage, I become full soon after a couple of bites and as per doctor recommendations when the force myself to eat i feel like im going to burst, the pressure turns to pain because my muscles give out. One of my major problems is delayed gastric emptying. They said i have GERD but i have no heartburn or acid refluxing ot my esophagus which is why i did research to findout it was dyspepsia and not GERD, i am under the impression that the two are different entities correct me if I am wrong. my first GI doc made me think i was crazy, and told my PCP to refer me to a OB/GYN [ultrasound is clear] and schedule an endoscopy [ but id rather find a non-invasive way if I am right and it is dyspepsia... any suggestions] i went to another GI doctor who decided to call my PCP and than gave me a paper on foods to avoid on heartburn and told me to go to a OBGYN. Explain to me what an OBGYN has to do with upper GI issues and ill gladly go. Antacids dont help, and the PPI [Prilosec 24 hours OTC] doesnt seem to work since I take it in the morning and still have symptoms throughout the day especially when i eat. Which is really my only major concern i dont want to lose weight. I am thinking about going to a therapist because everyone is making me sound crazy but i know what i feel and it didnt start because of stress, but i am starting ot feel stressed which is not going ot help the situation.

In Summary i just want to ask:
1) Shouldnt the PPI have worked by atleast the end of the week?
2) What should i do next?
3) What is the difference between dyspepsia and GERD.
4) Would it be wise to suggest a H. pylori test? because i am reading in dyspepsia and endoscopy doesnt show much and i rather have somehting non-invasive than have an endoscopy and feel like im crazy.
5) why was i referred to an OBGYN?

PS the only reason i even went to the doctor was because i fit the exclusion criteria for self-medicating.