Gastroenterology Community
Severe Abdominal cramping pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe Abdominal cramping pain

Six year ago I had a colonoscopy. Every checkout ok except they found I have a diverticula. A month ago July 2008 I started having severe abdominal pains, my stomach was blotted. Thinking it was food related I waited 5 days before i went to the Dr. By that time I felt like I was in labor. The Dr though it was diverticulitis and put me on 2 types of antibiotics: Flagyl and Cipro witch I took for 10 days as prescribed. The symptoms seems to subside and I was glad to get of the Flagyl(tasted awful and change my taste buds). Five days later the pain started all over again. I am not as blotted but I feel some twisting pain. It gets better when I go bathroom and is all diarrhea. It comes and go but when it comes it feels worse than labor pains. I call my Dr and he said to go to the emergency room. I didn’t. I call the gastroenterologist who performed my colonoscopy and he could not see me for another month and his PA suggested that I take some cramping pain medicine. I’ll be starting that today. I have some dull pain on the upper  left of my abdomen and the bottom left side of abdomen is very tender to the touch, this my 3rd day with this renew pain and I feel like the Doctors are bouncing me around and no resolution. Please help

I really hope that your doctors can find a cure for you.  However, as a last resort, surgery might be an option if all else fails and you are suffering greatly.

I underwent a total colectomy over four years ago for torrential diverticular bleeding (painless - but very dangerous).

In answer to another patient I placed my experience on Medhelp some weeks ago under:-

http://www.medhelp/org/posts/show/523166

In the event that you feel that surgery might be worth exploring, have a look at that posting to help you decide whether or not you would contemplate it.  Ask your G.I. specialist for his/her thopughts too - maybe show them a print out of my posting for their comments so that they can give an opinion whether you would have a similar experience - or not....

Good luck
Morecambe