Gastroenterology Community
Severe Pain from Clindamycin

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe Pain from Clindamycin

I was prescribed clindamycin after experiencing pain in my tooth after a root canal. I took a double dose (600mg) of clindamycin as I missed a dose.  I am experiencing severe pain from my chest through to my back.  It feels like spasms and is difficult to breath. I normally take nexium on a daily basis; however I missed my dose of that too.  I did take my nexium but I have felt absolutely no relief whatsoever. Any suggestions other than take my medicine as prescribed and don't double up dosage. I am absolutely miserable.
You are having an allergic reaction to the medicine, which causes a person to have trouble breathing.  Even tho it could have happened from taking a double dose, you must let your doctor know immediately about this, as it's possible he'll want you to go to the ER to be administered an anti-allergy type medicine, oxygen supplementation, and they'll keep you there until your symptoms subside.  I notice you posted this seven hours ago, so if you are feeling normal now, and you take your next required dose and nothing happens, fine.  But if you are still not feeling normal now and/or you take your next dose and get the same symptoms, you gotta tell your doc, because he might tell you to go to the ER, and at the very least he'll need to prescribe a different medicine that won't have that side effect with you.
Clindamycin is a rough drug.  I cannot take it.  It makes me have severe stomach issues.  I cannot even have the acne cream with it since I still get stomach issues even though it is not supposed to be able to get into your bloodstream from being on your face.  I would call your dr immediately and get switched to another antibiotic and see if you need to go to er.  I am currently on penicillin for my tooth infection after root canal.  It is working for me and not many issues.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers