Gastroenterology Community
Severe Side-Effects from Post-Colorectal Surgery

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi! My uncle recently went through a colorectal surgery and has been having his stay in the hospital lengthened as a result of complications. The doctors claimed that the surgery was successful but that, now, the complications have set in and his guts have not been able to be reconnected. I went online to check and this kind of surgery is termed as colectomy, unsure if it is partial or whole?
But from what I know, he was diagnosed with many polyps, that have almost blocked his rectum. Doctor advised a surgery to be conducted asap in order for him to feel more relieved and at ease. He has been having difficulty passing motion, often the egested materials come out in fluid form.

The doctors contend that my uncle has to either put up with the stomach bag placed outside his body as a permanent solution or to go for another surgery in order to link his guts up again. However, he claimed that the reconnection did not go well the first time, as a result of bacterial infection and low blood count, I would like given these precedents, how well and what is the percentage of the success for the 2nd reconnection surgery?

My father's concern is that the doctors might have conducted some oversight in the process of the surgery.
I am curious how the guts are linked up, are they sewed up right away, or attached to the stoma as a temporary fixture until the guts link up naturally or what? I have read varying reports on various methods.

Thank you