Gastroenterology Community
Severe back/rib pain when eating

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe back/rib pain when eating

Over the past few months I have been developing pain immediately after eating.
The pain is generally right underneath my ribs, on both sides, and in my back adjacent to the thoracic vertebrae. (Not the spine itself, only the muscles) It's a sharp stabbing, followed by immediate muscle aches similar to a severe charlie horse. Sometimes, it is so intense that I double over in pain, I get dizzy, faint, and feel as though I will pass out (I get white tunnel vision, similar to blacking out but white.) Initially bananas were the only food that triggered this type of reaction (I don't think it is a latex-fruit allergy, as I can eat avacado and kiwi just fine) but it is slowly becoming a wider range of foods.(Yesterday it was raw carrots) I'm concered that it is going to begin affecting my life more than it has already.
I am only 21, I generally eat very healthy - Mostly vegetables, low carb, entirely organic, I am categorized as "overweight" but have increased activity and reduced caloric intake and am steadily losing about a pound a week. My first thought is gallbladder, but it seems that I'm awfully young to have issues with it.
I am a pre-med major, so I have a well rounded knowledge of how the body works and what my organs functions are, I just don't know what could be causing so much pain.
Hi, I'm Sara and I'm a RN, young as well, was to be a medical student, now a palliative care nurse practitioner major. I've had many digestive issues as well, still being resolved. I had my gallbladder out at 17 years old, so don't think you're too young for that. What I need to ask, if you're a med student, how come you haven't been to the doctor for this!! I know we're infamous for diagnosising ourselves, but ultimately we can't give ourselves the tests and order the blood work we will need! So I suggest you get to a doctor, before trying to diagnose yourself, especially since you're in such severe pain! Sounds like you will need some tests, such as an ultrasound, possibly more, and possibly a referral to a GI specialist. It could be something as mild as a GI virus or bacteria, but that would need treatment regardless. Gallbladder pain is extreme, such as that you are describing, but typically comes after eating fatty foods, not bananas. But the only way to find out what's trully going on is the get to your doctor to have a physical exam and start with a few tests. If your food choices are continuing to get smaller, and the pain is getting more intense, you want to stop this before it gets worse. If insurance is a problem you can always search for free or low-income clinics on the internet. I hope you feel better soon, and please, take care of yourself. Always remember, even if we can diagnose ourselves, it doesn't mean we can treat ourselves, so we'll still have to go through a workup with a doctor to get diagnosed anyway. And trust me, doctors don't like being told what to do or what';s wrong with you. They like to take the lead. Good luck and I'm sending my best wishes :)

Sara RN