Severe bout of hiccups for 3 days or more
My dad is 67 years old and it started with fever and Cold which he normally gets due to weather change. Then he started getting hiccups which became a little worse on the third day as he became a little breathless and was exhausted.We took him to the docotor and the doctor said his oesophagus has constricted and we need to dialate it.
An endoscopy was performed and he is now under observation for a day in the intensive care unit.
The doctor said by this he will not have swallowing difficulty which he used to have earlier.
I want to know how often do we need to dialate the oesophagus ,this is the second time we have done it for him with a gap of 2 years. Also, will that pose any grave health risk, like risk to the heart , or lungs.
We are very worried because he gets breathless when he gets hiccups and also very exhausted.
Please advice