Gastroenterology Community
Severe pain under right ribs with throbbing

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been having this SEVERE pain under my right ribs (right on the edge) it hurts so bad that I will stretch out my body and instinctively rub it, it then begins throbbing as the pain subsides, I can see and feel it throbbing. For the next couple of days the area is sore. Sometimes it will happen a couple of times in a day and sometimes not for a couple weeks. I had MRI's and CT's for a differennt type of pain a bout 3 inches lower several months ago and they said for that it looked like I may have been impacted. Have improved my diet and been having regular BMs . This pain was before during and after that appointment but seems to be getting worse. I had my gallbladder removed 3 yrs ago and the few seconds of pain from this new thing is worse than the pai from my gallbladder. I see alot of posts about the pain but nothing about the 'throbbing'. Any ideas?
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  Have you seen a gastroenterologist about this?  Have you had any other testing done?
not since I went and was told I was impacted. I HATE going to the doctor for pain when otherwise I feel fine. With my gallbladder it took almost 3 months before they decided to 'have a look' because all of the usual tests kept coming back normal. I continued to work because, other than the excrutiating pain, I felt fine.Of course by then my gallbladder was so bad that ,as the doctor said, my other organs had started building tissue around it to wall it off.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. With gall bladder issues ruled out, possibilities that may need to be considered include GI/ liver related infections/ inflammations, motility issues, growths masses, chest wall/ lower respiratory tract causes, neuro-muscular issues etc. With the description, nerve related issues would specifically need to be ruled out. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Just come across your post,Im suffering same description pain,I only had my gallbladder out 6 weeks ago mine was badly infected and had to be done urgent,I was operated on at 5pm Friday evening and had drain out 8am Sat morning and was home for 3pm Sat afternoon,I as rushed back in hospital on wed as I was very sick and coming out other end as well,I had several tests one was a CT scan a few days later,the pain hasn't gone away since,Throbbing just under right rib cage radiating through to back,Ive also had a few weeks ago MRI scan and nothing has shown up.I had another painfull attack Sat today is Tuesday,and im still no wiser,As im a carerer I cant be doing with being ill Just wondered if you have now had a diagnosis,thanks Sue