Gastroenterology Community
Severe persistent stomach pains

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe persistent stomach pains

I am a 16 year old female. I have been experiencing constant symptoms for 4.5 months. They occur after every meal no matter what I eat. I first was just experiencing pain after I ate cereal and milk for breakfast. It felt very crampy and tearing almost and there were sharp pains in my upper stomach. We went to the doctor and they said it was lactose intolerance. So we switched to lactose free milk and it helped in that regard, but I was experiencing the same pains when I ate something with no milk in it at all. So we went back to the doctor and they said that it was indigestion and put me on Prevacid, it worked for about a week then my pains became more severe. I had terrible pains throughout my entire abdomen, cramping, diarrhea, and nausea. I had lost my appetite completely. It is to the point where anything I put in my mouth causes me severe pain. So we went back to the doctor and they ordered a blood test and an ultrasound. My amylase and lipase levels were normal and so was the CBC and the complete metabolic panel. The ultrasound showed that there are no abnormalities or inflammation of my pancreas, liver, or gallbladder. They then referred me to a gastroenterologist and they performed an upper endoscopy. They said everything looked normal except for a little patch in my stomach, but that it couldn't be causing the pain I'm having. They tested for Crohn's disease (in my esophagus, stomach and beginning of small intestine) celiac disease, and the H. Pylori bacteria. All came back negative. I had a follow up appointment four weeks later and they ordered a small bowel series and a colonoscopy. The small bowel series came back completely normal and my colonoscopy is in about 2 weeks. I have already lost 17 pounds and I didn't exactly have that weight to lose. I look very sickly and I feel terrible. It is worse when I eat greasy or acidic food, but no matter what I eat, it still happens. It seems to be worse in the morning and the evening and the best in the middle of the day. I have not experienced vomiting until just recently. The nausea cramping and pain is constant. I have diarrhea 4-5 times a week and the other times I'm constipated. I don't feel any pains of constipation, I jut have a bowel movement every 3 days or so. I have also noticed pretty severe fatigue, muscle weakness and joint pain. I have been taking Imodium (immodium) for the diarrhea, and Emetrol and nauzene tablets for the nausea. Last week I woke up in so much abdominal pain that I couldn't move. We called my doctor and they said it was intestinal spasms. They prescribed me dicyclomine 10mg 3 times a day. I have a colonoscopy next week, but I really need to know what's going on.
They should check for diabetes if they haven't.  It could be diabetic gastroparesis.