Gastroenterology Community
Severe rectum bleeding

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe rectum bleeding

My partner had had sever rectum bleeding for over 2 years now and is gradually getting worse, he would not go to the doctors for quite some time! He has now been to the doc's and has had a colonoscopy which found nothing!
He sometimes cant get off the toilet for at least 20-30 mins and the blood is pouring out like a tap! Its not just a bit on the toilet tissue! He also has stabbing pains like soeone is sticking a knife and twisiting it up there and terrible stomach bloating. Any ideas anyone? Im worried. :(

This discussion is related to Rectal Bleeding.
Not sure where you live but here in N.Y. we have a Disgestive Disease Center. I would take him to another Gastroenterologist because thats a huge red flag for colon cancer. I also don't know how old he is but my friend just lost her son to colon cancer at age 21. By the time they found out he had it, he was in stage 4. Reason being, they do not check anyone younger than 40 sometimes 50 for that disease. Take him right away and good luck.
I agree with the above response to your posting.  Rectal bleeding is never normal and should always be medically investigated until a definite cause is found.  Normally a colonoscopy is a comprehensive test to discover the source of bleeding if the cause cannot be identified by visual examination (e.g. haemorrhoids, anal fissure etc).  Google rectal bleeding and click onto one of the many sites - the Medicinenet site is particularly informative.  This should inform you better for your next consultation.

I suggest that your next appointment should be with a GI specialist and, if necessary ask for a repeat colonoscopy.

regards
Morecambe