Gastroenterology Community
Severe upper abdominal pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Severe upper abdominal pain

My name is Melissa and I have been having pain in my upper abdominal area for over 14 years now and the doctors' are clueless. I have had my gallbladder  and apendix removed. I get pain after eating anything spicy or citrus. I have been to the ER many times but they can't find anything wrong. I have seen gastrologist but they just started guessing and trying out all kinds different meds. I started having this pain when I was13 years old and I am going on 28 but nothing has been figured out about this pain. I had acute pancreas attack before and it feels like that. Everytime I go to the ER they tell me my enzymes level are not elevated but I have high level of white blood cells. It's very confusing not knowing what's wrong and it's hard to get help when the doctors' just send you home with pain and nausea pills but the pain pills make the pain worse. I live in Cleveland, OH and I dont know where to go to get a doctor that will listen and run some necessary tests. I went to the ER last night and was sent back home still in pain. I just want to hold my breath to make this pain go away. When an attack happens it comes on all the sudden and it stays strong for 30 minutes to hours later. I usually lay in the fetal position when the attacks come on and I get hot and cold sweats, sharp upper abdominal pain that radiates to my back and sometimes vomiting. Once I get to the ER my blood pressure high and I feel like crap. I have had so many tests ran but nothing ever shows up (only high level of white blood cells). I'm kinda lost and not sure what to do, so I hope someone can tell me something.

Thank You for Reading and any advice would be helpful,

Melissa
have you been checked for spincter of oddi dysfunction? this would likely cause pain on the upper right.

high white blood cells can indicate an infection, but i think if i remember right that they can go up if you are stressed (aka or in pain). maybe ask to be tested for infections that have not been covered already. ask them to dig in that and see if they find anything.

are you negative for h-pylori?
Test blood for H-Pylori. if tests psotive; take the treatment course containing several anti-biotics and anti-acid tablets,

It will cure your pain attacks.
No, I dont have H-Pylori or any ulcers. I have had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. Nothing has been found. The problem is that I know I cant be the only one with these problems so I was hoping someone else has had something similar or possibly knows what it could be. I need to get my doctors' a push in some direction because I dont want to live with the pain. Thanks for your responses!

Melissa