Sex & Large Intestine Removal
I have a personal question...

For those of you who have had your large intestine removed and replaced with a j pouch (small intestine hooked up to your rectum with no colostomy bag).. I understand that it takes some time to get use to going to the bathroom ALOT.. any stories of how bad this is and how long it took to get use to or your body to adjust. Also I have a fear.. its a weird one but its life.... did anyone have accidents during things like sex???
You might want to try asking this question in the colon cancer community or another community where many people have needed their large intestine removed.  You can also try asking this in the sexual health community.
I underwent a total colectomy in 2004 for torrential diverticular bleeding and, in response to another Medhelp patient's posting, I summarised my experiences on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166 (see my posting in May 2008).

This is a big operation and, from my recollections, it "slows you down" somewhat due to the time that the abdomen takes to become totally "ache-free" after what is major surgery.

I don't remember the aftermath of the surgery greatly interferring with my "libido" but then at the age of ~59 at the time of my surgery I suppose that I might be a bit "past-it" compared to your youthful 31 years!!

I certainly never had an accident but if you are worried about this perhaps ensure that you try to have a #2 movement before you go to bed or "swing from the chandaliers" or whatever is your private pleasure!!

Good luck

regards
Morecambe
Thank you for your feedback. I am scared of not having control of my bowls after surgery.

I can honestly say that I never felt that I was about to lose control of my bowels.  The surgery did not weaken the sphincter muscle which (I believe) controls the opening of the rectum do allow faecal matter to pass outwards.

Having said that - especially in the earlier stages after the surgery - "when you've got to go then you've got to go"!!

regards
Morecambe