Gastroenterology Community
Sharp intestinal pain/cramping

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sharp intestinal pain/cramping

My stomach/intestine area feels sensitive almost all the time but 1/2 - 1 hour after eating I get sharp pains and spasms.  I will first get the pain about 1 inch above the belly button, then it seems like it produces gas which is painful until I pass it.  After this goes on for a while, my intestine spasm.  It is almost like small birthing contractions that I have to breath through.  This (and the pain) goes on for hours, sometimes all day and through the night.  If I am consitpated, feel like I need a bowl movement or gassy it makes things worse.  
Have been to my primary several times, she thought it might be 1. reaction to current migraine medication (stopped, and problem continued) 2. intestinal migraines 3. ibs.  My dr. said I could try pain meds ibuprophen/vicodon, but to be careful not to make things worse.
I take donnetal to help with the cramping, I have also been prescribed nexium, regelan and metoclopromide.  Over the counters I've tried are Tums/rolaids, lots and lots of semethicone, gaviscon, Activia.  With the exception of donnetal, (and posibly nexium) nothing seems to work.
This has been going on on and off for about a year.  I am a 42 yr old female, no blood in stool, no diarraha, history of migraines, history of anxiety.  I had a yearly physical a few months ago (not during a flair-up) and there were no problems.  Other than that, no medical tests.
Is there anything I can do for this?  If not, is there something I could ask my primary for to help with the pain?  Thank you!
I have been having alot of the same problems. (My pains are in a different place,  but they are sharp & I could go on about it but I wont)-  My gastro said he thinks I have IBS.  He prescribed Dicyclomine. It's a smooth muscle relaxer that is for spastic colon.  While I don't think that IBS is my problem,  it does seem to make the pains more tolerable.  You might ask for that.
Hi sorry to hear of your problems I had almost the same pain it would start after dinner and it felt like labor pains like it would start light then peak and go back down.  I am 44 and went to gastro dr and he did a endoscopy and found 2 lg bleeding ulcers he put me on previcid and dicyclomine and It took 6 weeks to clear up now I feel much better accept now he did a 2nd endoscopy and he took out  2 nodules and I have to wait for the biopsy report in 10 days a little nervous I don't really know how common it is to find nodules in your stomach .  Well hope you find out what it is and get treated
My husband has been in & out of the ER 15 times in the past 6 mos. with the same symptoms...which the dr's have no idea what is wrong with him...they keep coming to the conclusion of anxiety.  He wakes in the morning to have a BM and if its diarrhea he begins to violently vomit, sweat heavily and has severe abdominal pain where is stomach is very bloated. I take him to the ER where they administer atavan and dulantin (not sure of spelling), within an hour he is back to normal.  He's had an endoscopy twice...they found nothing...a ct scan...they found nothing....a colonoscopy...they found nothing...tons of x-rays and blood work and nothing turns up.  the GI dr. he's been seeing has put him on klonipin (klonopin) and nortriptyline.  he said the nortriptyline is to help repair his vagal nerve repair itself....i just want to know if there is something else we should be looking at that could cause these symptoms and if nortriptyline is used for that because everything i've read about the drug says its an anti-deppressant
my husband is going through the same issues. we're headed to the gastro next week, however, the one piece of the puzzle I haven't seen mentioned yet is allergies. I know milk can be an obvious source of intestinal pain, and that is cut out of his diet, but I would also suggest ruling those out with some simple allergy tests. I highly suggest persisting to find the source of the pain to stop it, rather than masking it with meds for the rest of your life. Good luck, this is awful!
I have been having pain in my stomach.  When I am having a bowl movement I get this pain in my stomach.  It feels like it is going thru a tub and gets stuck.  Once it moves down the pain goes away.   It makes me bend over until it passes because it hurts so much.   I also getting bloating and gas.   I am tired of this pain but it is something weird as I feel it moving down my stomach.