Gastroenterology Community
Sharp pain followed by gurgling sound

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sharp pain followed by gurgling sound

I am a 25 year old female and I occasionally experience sharp pain in the lower abdomen (in the lower right quadrant) followed by a gurgling sound that temporarily relieves the pressure/pain. I have had these episodes for as long as I can remember but lately they have much more close together. When I was younger, I would say that I would have maybe 2 a year but now I am having these attacks once every 2 or 3 months and sometimes more than one in a month. It begins as a sharp pain (that literally brings me to my knees) that will last about a minute followed by a loud gurgling sound that relieves the pain and then I will have about 2-3 minutes of no symptoms and the cycle will start over. Sometimes I will be okay after 30 mintues and sometimes it lasts a few hours. Has anyone ever heard of/ experience these types of symptoms?
It sounds like gas, but the question is, what is causing the increase in frequency?  Many abdominal symptoms are frustratingly nonspecific.  It could be IBS for one.  Gallstones or nonfunctioning gallbladder can cause constipation and other elimination changes.  Using diet foods containing sugar alcohols caused terrible gas problems for me years ago.  Having anxiety that causes one to swallow more air can increase gas intake.  

You could try taking simethicone-containing OTC meds to reduce the gas.  Phazyme is good because it doesn't have sugar alcohol or other ingredients that can cause problems for sensitive people.  
Well I dont normally have gas or constipation. I eat very healthy so I do eat some sweets that have "no sugar added" but contain sugar alcohols so that is a possibilty. I am concerned that it could be something like a bowel obstuction. I guess I should go see a physician but since it happens suddenly and goes away suddenly, I just haven't. It is very comparible to uterine contractions (during labor) because it starts as a sharp pain, then it subsides, but continues in intervals of about 3-4 minutes. The crazy part is the gurgling sound. The pains increases in intensity until I hear the gurgling sound and then it releases.
I don't think it's bowel obstruction.  IBS or food sensitivity seem more likely.  But if you are 40+, it might be a good excuse to get a colonoscopy.  This test may sound unpleasant, but with the right meds to make you sleepy, it is an extremely useful test that could save you from getting colon cancer if they find any polyps.  It could also diagnose diverticulosis and other conditions that are helpful to know about.  
I think I may be experiencing the same thing that you are.  I get a very sharp stomach pain followed usually by a very loud gurgle in my lower right abdomen.  Sometimes it does not gurgle, however.  And those pains are more severe.  It seems to me like gas is trying get through, but cannot.  I have been fairly successful in eliminating gluten from my diet and that has really helped quite a bit.  Not sure if it is stopping the problem but it helps.  Also, is there pain when you physically push on your lower right abdomen?
This is exactly what I have been experiencing since age 11, the intense waves at 3-min increments, relieved by the gurgle...used to think it was related to my menstrual cycle..but the gurgling suggests a gastric issue...and no doctors can identify the issue! One suggested it's just IBS, while other attribute it to ruptured ovarian cysts...the doctor tells my cysts in the ovaries do not affect IBS though, so I am at a loss...for me though, attacks are usually painful enough to cause dry retching and slight fever..and usually last 48 hrs, only alleviated by morphine. It sounds like our bodies are having a similar issue, whatever it may be...good luck!
So glad to have found someone else with the exact same symptoms as myself! Did u ever find out what was causing it & how to treat it? Would love some answers & a bit of relief!!