Gastroenterology Community
Sharp pain in upper left abdomen while having bowel movement

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello. In the last 2 weeks I have suddenly developed a sharp pain while having a bowel movement. This pain is internal and located in my upper left abdomen (maybe where my spleen is?) The area is somewhere at or above the bottom of my ribs, but deep inside... almost feels like someone is pulling on my intestines or some other organ. A sharp "pulling" pain I guess.

The pain ends immediatly after the bowel movement passes. I do not have it at any other time. Also just recently twice the pain has come right before a bowel movement (as though the pain is associated with the movement of my stool)

There is no sign of blood or any otehr symptoms (no vomiting, fatigue, sickness, etc.)

I am turning 40 next month. I have a sedentry life style and have gained a fair amount of weight over the last 2 years more so even in the last 2 months. I am 5' 11" and last weigh-in was 206 lbs with clothing. I have a large "beer belly" though I don't drink (almost never actually - maybe twice a year). I do feel bloated, but that is more likely due to my life style and eating than as symptom.

I have no history of IBS, but HAVE had hard dry stools for years due to bad diet and poor exercise. I have a hemmoroid, but it does not bleed. As of a few months ago I began introducing fiber into my diet after having bad constipation for a week. This seemed to cure my constipation and helped my digestion. Until this problem presented I was finally having healthy softer more frequent bowel movements (1-2 a day and not hard, dark or otherwise irregular).

Last year I overdid daily exercises on an exercise bike (I was TRYING to loose some of this weight!) and had a pain that radiated down that radiated down into my testicle. I did not know that muscular pain could radiate to other areas until this happened so maybe I am mis-diagnosing where my pain is and it is radiating there, but it sure does feel like it is my internal organs and not some muscle pain. (incedently this put me off exercising).

About 3 years ago I had an ingeunal (spelling?) hernia which was repaired. This does not cause me any seeming problems, but maybe it shows that I'm getting old and my body is weakening ;)

Finally - so sorry for this very long post. Just trying to be thorough and it's hard to get advice over the internet.
Obviously the pain causes me quite a bit of anxiety and I am worried about it!

Thank you very much for any help you can give me in this matter.
Edit - I do not seem to have pain while passing gas only bowel movements. Also no pain when I purposely strain myself or prod myself in the area iwth fingers.

Pain is still present after several more days... If anything it's worse (makes me not want to "push" to go to bathroom)

Anyone have any ideas?