Sharp stomach pain and constant vomiting
Just yesterday my boyfriend was complaining that his stomach was hurting.  He described it as a sharp pain right above his belly button.  I thought it was just a normal stomach ache but then the pain increased and he began vomiting and shaking (when vomiting).  Afterwords he felt fine but every time he tries to eat anything, even something small, his stomach feels uneasy and he gets this sharp stabbing pain again and then he throws everything up.  Today is still the same way.  He tried eating a little bit of cereal and he feels like he wants to vomit.  There's no blood in his vomit or stool, and his stool has been normal, plus he doesn't have a fever or chills.  It's obvious that his stomach does not want anything in it, but why?  And what's causing this sharp stabbing pain above the belly button?  It doesn't really seem like food poisoning, since all he had was a protein shake and earlier some chicken and rice (which I also ate).  And the pain he's describing is different from someone who has food poisoning, but I could be wrong...  

He does have a umbilical hernia, which he's had for about 8 years now.  And he's also been having a lot of acid indigestion recently (don't know if this is all related but I figured the more information the better).  In the past 3 months he's been taking pepto-bismol or antacids everyday, sometimes multiple times a day and he says that when he eats, sometimes his food feels like it's getting stuck in his throat.

I mentioned the hernia because I was thinking it could be an intestinal obstruction which can be caused by hernias.  Based on his symptoms, is this a possibility or does it seem like a stomach virus or something less severe?