Gastroenterology Community
Short of Breath

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Short of Breath

I've been short of breath for over 8 years...been misdiagnosed inumeral times.  First they thought it was bronchitis induced asthma, put me on prednisone, I gained 120 lbs. and they dr. said ya know, you don't have asthma, I don't know if you ever did.....sheesh.  But now I'm over weight, have diabetes from weight gaine and high blood pressure.  Next specialist aid I had Fibroid Tumors the size of a football and that was pushing my stomach up into my chest and that was making me short of breath.  Had a hysterectomy, got rid of fibroids....guess what??? Still short of breath and have a lovely scar from side to side.  I've had my heart checked out seven ways to Sunday, been to gastro dr., pulmonologist, cardiolologist, surgeons, etc.  Next diagnosis was acid reflux.....I now have been taking 40 mg twice a day of Nexium and zantac when I got to bed....and you guessed it...stomach is still killing me, and short of BREATH!  Latest diagnosis?  I have gall stones!  Need more surgery!!!      Symptoms:  Shortness of Breath, pain in stomach, diarrehia, pain between breasts (agony), pain between ribs, pain between shoulder blades, acid reflux, pain in hips, lower back, upper spine.  I'M A WRECK!   CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME?

This discussion is related to Upper Abdominal pain, shortness of breath.
Have you had your pancreas checked?

Hi hon
i certainly wish I could help you.
You have been through the wringer with the surgery. I have your symptoms, been gettin worse for around 4 years now I am unable to do a few steps without breathlessness.
I have pain now in my ribs and tum but I also have pains in my bones and muscles too, I am diagnosed with FM.
I was diagnosed with GERD years ago I have been on all sorts since, they offered me surgery around 15 years ago, I wish I had taken it now. I think the nerves from the Gerd are referring signals to my lungs and interfere with the ANS and I get breathless because of it. I have no idea how to resolve this. If you find out something hon would you be good enough to message me?

lotsa luv
Dawnx
Wow, i just read about your shortness of breath! I feel like i finally have met someone just like me! I am always short of breath and have pains in my upper back! I feel like when i actually catch my breath i`m so relieved, but i know i will be trying to catch my breath again very soon! The doctors say my heart and lungs sound okay, but i`m going for some test very soon. The doctor has ordered every test for me under the sun, but i`m afraid no one is going to figure out what is wrong with me! I`m only 26 and i`m uncomfortable most the time cause i can`t breathe normally! I took the diet pill phentermine for several years, but have been off of it for a couple years. I`m afraid that that might be the cause of some lung and heart damage, but i just don`t know! Well, i wish you luck. Let me know if you have any suggestions for me! Thanks!