Gastroenterology Community
Should I go to the emergency room for my hemorrhoids?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Usually they just burn a little, and the gastros I've seen have all told me that they are nothing to worry about at this stage. Right now i'm on vacation. They usually burn after I drink alcohol, so that is normal for me and I'm used to it, not really concerned. But, I have this pain if i put my finger just outside my anus (i think) and push up gently. I was just checking to see if they were turning into external hemms and that's when I noticed a pain. Should I get checked out? I'm a little nervous about it. There is no blood at all, unlike when I first had hemorrhoids. I took metamucil and eventually a week or two of suppositories and it was fine. It'd be great if an MD could respond! :(
I'm not an MD, but I don't believe there is any reason you need to be seen in the ER.  It is probably just another hemorrhoid and you can try a hemmorrhoid cream to try and help it.  However, if it gets a lot worse, you can consider being seen.
It is not appropriate to go to en emergency room for hemorrhoids.

You will wait seventeen hours, pay a lot of money and there is absolutely positively nothing they can do for you.

If you have them, they must be resolved, either surgically or by a laser procedure. Both procedures are well established and give good results.

Any other direction is plan stupid.

You lose blood with hemorrhoids. Over the course of time it can be a lot of blood. This drops what is called the hematocrit. A normal male hematocrit is around forty six. Someone with hemorrhoids may drop down well below twenty. It's not just the pain.  You will become confused, a danger on the highway, suffer fatigue and your work performance and personal life will suffer. They don't get better. They get worse and worse.

Seek a surgeon that does a lot of the procedures.