Gastroenterology Community
Should I go to the hospital????

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Should I go to the hospital????

I'm going on 17 days without going to the bathroom.  I have always had constipation and blood around stools from constipation.  Last time I went some of my stools were white and I had gelly mucus around them.  I have had constipation for around 5 years with a little blood when I go just from my stools being so hard.  I usually go around 4-5 times a month and never really did anything about it.  About a month ago I tried a stimulant laxative and was seriously vomiting all day with severe pain in my stomach.  I finally had to put a bucket in front of me while pushing on the toilet was doing that all day until I finally went. I had never pooped so much in my life!  Had a bunch of hard stuff come out that hurt so bad to pass and then soft so I was severely blocked.  I lost 8 pounds that day.  So since then I have taken a laxative 2 other times but was way too sick and cramping so I'm not taking a laxative.  Last time I took a laxative was on the 5th of May and did not go until the 7th and that was the last time I went.  The past week I've been taking probiotics and metamucil and had nothing.  All I drink is water.  A couple days ago I gave myself an enema sodium phosphate rectal solution and it made me feel like I had to go for an hour and all I got was excessive amounts of mucus.  I'm not in too much pain but my right side feels stiff and do feel a little pain. I have had acid reflex the last couple days.  I am severely bloated my stomach hurts so bad from bloating, but is not sharp.  I feel it in my lower back as well, but not serious pain.  It does not hurt when I press on certain areas, but more just a general crampy feeling and feel extremely full.  And I also cannot function I am headachey and I am just extremely fatigued.  I am soooo tired where I can't think or do anything.  If I eat, along with the stomach noises, gas and bloating I'm extremely tired.  I eat and all I want to do is sleep.  I can hardly keep my eyes open after eating.  I don't know what to do I can't pass this this time.  Is this a medical emergency? 
I would say to go to the er so they can run some tests on. It. Sounds like colitis. Bit go to the ER
I agree, unless you can get in to see your doctor in the next day, you should go to the ER.  Also, you should be on a daily laxative that is not a stimulant laxative.  These include miralax and milk of magnesia.  You should also be followed by a GI doc not just your general doctor.
It certainly sounds like something that needs checking out fairly urgently.
Apparently water, fibre and exercise help constipation.  That doesn't help now.

I would see your doctor and then consider some lifestyle changes.
You definitely need to be seen by a doctor, preferably a gastroenterologist,as they deal with digestive issues all the time and are much more knowledgeable about these things than a regular practitioner might be.

I also have trouble with stimulant laxatives - the abdominal pain and vomiting like you had, so I steer clear of them.  I've found what works best for me is Phillips Caplets - you can take up to 4 of them a day - they say preferably at bedtime and however many you take, they say preferably to take them all at once, however, quite often I will take two in the morning and then two more before bedtime.  That works quite well for me.  I've tried taking 4 at once and ended up with quite watery stools, so that's why I split them up.  Sometimes taking 2 in the morning will be enough to completely clean me out and other times I'll need to take the other 2 at bedtime.  These do not have any type of stimulant in them and do not cause me any problems with vomiting or stomach pains.

It's very important, however, to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking ANYTHING if you are under a doctor's care for anything or taking any type of medication, over the counter OR prescription.

You definitely need to be seen by a doctor, though - to not be able to have a bowel movement after using a laxative of any kind could signal a serious problem.

Best of luck!
Thanks everyone for commenting.  I knew I would need to see a doc, but was wondering if this would be considered a medical emergency since I don't really have severe abdominal pain.
It very well could be considered an emergency since you are having other symptoms along with the constipation (abdominal bloating, pain, back pain, unusual fatigue, headache, etc).  If you can't get into your doc right away, I think this would warrant a trip to the ER, or at least an urgent care facility.
It may not seem like an emergency, but you can get perforation of the bowels if you continue to eat but do not have a bowel movement. I would get to the ER, have them empty you out and then make an appointment with a GI so they can find a solution for you.
So pissed went to the ER and he stuck his finger in there and there's nothing up there so he's giving me a drink to clear me out but still why wouldn't they do any testing?!  No one will run tests on me I've been sick for 5 months!!
Get a referrel to a GI and get a colonoscopy done. That will generally rule out anything major and you can be treated from there.
I drank the drink they gave me like magnesium citrate or something like that.  Didn't taste that bad.  But I drank that about 5 hours ago and haven't gotten anything yet.  It says it's supposed to make u go within 1/2 hour to 6 hours.  Wish they would have done tests!  Nothing is working down there it feels like.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids when you drink the magnesium citrate.  For me, magnesium citrate takes a while to work so I would be patient.
Fiber plus bars always do the trick for me.... Certain meds I take cause constipation and have been blocked up to a week before. After eating a fiber plus bar in the morning the next morning I am in the bathroom half the day.....
To get clear of what is the problem actually you are facing, you should consult with a doctor about the issue so that to start with proper medicines that are required.

otherwise, it may leads to some gastric problem that gets worse.

http://www.liferaftgroup.org/
Dear Goodgirl,
From reading your history, I agree with several of the posters here, that you have got to be seen by a gastroenterologist, but that can take a while.  Also, rather than a colonoscopy, I do think the investigation that is needed is an ultrasound or scan.  So, get the appointment with the gastro, but in the meantime, ask your regular doc for a squeeze-in appointment this week, and if you don't have one you can go to the county health department as a walk-in, or you can go right back down to the ER, and MAKE whatever physician you see LISTEN to your whole story, and that you need them to find out WHY you have this problem, that you want the tests I mentioned, and also that you want them to arrange to clear out your bowels forthwith, even if they have to admit you to the hospital that day.  Remember, the squeaking wheel is the one that gets the oil.  

It's really too bad the ER people didn't give more weight to this mountain of problems you've been having, because it indicates something is WRONG with your digestive tract, and they could have so easily found out right then and there what the problem is.  I mean, if this was a one-time deal, sure, a laxative drink or enema might be the way to go... but this is NOT a one-time thing.  It is a chronic problem that needs diagnosing and fixing quickly.  Keep us posted if the miracle drink the ER gave you works (should work in 24 hours), and if not, print out your original post here if you need to, and get thee to a doctor this week, be it your regular doc, a county health doc, or an ER doc.  

If you go to the ER, if you get the same runaround, there's ways to command attention without being rude... just calmly ask for his superior to come into the exam room.
GG
I am in the EXACT same boat. Please, update me on your outcome or your findings, research , discussions with doctor.

I am 41 been constipated all my life. Last week I tried colon-hydro therapy since i had NOT pooped in 4 weeks. Well.. it worked but after 2 day treatment i can imagine I only got out large colon material. Plus, I passed several white/clear worm parasites! gross, i know.
I have yet to go to the bathroom on my own since the treatment, so that makes it 5 weeks with out going on my own AT ALL.
I have pain on upper left side of tummy, hurts to press.
Had a colonoscopy 6 years ago for same issues but nothing turned up.
if anyone out there can help me, Please I am begging for answers.   I am desperate.  no doctor can help, they send me home with a drug and "drink more water".  I say,..what a crock of ...well.... you know.
Any comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

God Bless
Leighleigh
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers