Gastroenterology Community
Sickness that has lasted 1 year and still no diagnosis. PLEASE HELP.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have been dealing with 'episodes' as I call them for a year now. It all started last year after I had my first experience with general anesthesia. About 3 weeks later I started having upper abdominal pain right under my ribs and across my whole abdomen, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, weight loss, joint pain and breat tenderness which the last one just started a couple months ago. The 'episodes' last for about a week then symptoms subside for about 2-3 weeks but they always come back. I have lost 22lbs in the past year. Before this started I was 144 and when I went to see a gastroenterologist last month I was 122 and I am 5'7". I have had my gall bladder removed with no help with the 'episodes'. In 2010 I had a partial hysterectomy. I was fine my whole life and never had any of these symptoms until after general anesthesia. I have had lots of blood work, stool sample, CT, upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy and they have all come back fine. When I had my gall bladder removed my surgeon found pancreatic cells on the outside of my duodenum...don't know why they were there.
I have alot of those stmptoms and i have barrets esophagus, I have really bad acid reflux, headaches quite often, body cramps, ( almost like i am running a high fever ) i check my fever and it is only elevated to 99.6 or somewhere around it. I also experience left shoulder pain, pain in my sternum, pain in my middle back up inbetween my ribs ( area) sometimes i have to lie down but in  a sitting up position. I think our doctors really have no idea what is goin on. ive gone to the er so much they dont take me serious anymore. they give me a gi cocktail and send me home everytime. my gi's nurse said that the folks in the er arent really educated about barrets esophagus. i also cant sleep alot of the time i feel as if they just generally dont care. my last trip the nurse practitioner said that barrets isnt a pre cancerous disease and it is just a pouch my husband and i were looked at her like she was crazy. when we told her my specialist said it was pre cancerous she said well i guess listen to your specialist. she also gave me a cocktail and sent me packing. i do knos that barrets isnt something the doctors know much about but i feel as though i am just supposed to sit here until it turns into cancer. the doctors say it is unlikely to turn into cancer. then why do they call it a pre cancerous condition? not only that i was reading on the web a ladies testimonial about her deceased husband he was diagnosed with barrets and the doctors said the same thing to them well his moved very quickly to make a long story short he was deceased with in a year. this is scary and i am a young mother. this disease is very rare and primarily they disgnose it in men that are in their 50's. so i wish you well i take dexilant 60 mg. you could try that. it helps better than any of the other meds i take. if you find out please post back. you will be in my prayers each and every day.
Thank you for your response. Luckily I found a new gastroenterologist that I just met last month and out first meeting he looked at me and said 'I don't think it's in your head and I don't think it's stress. I'm the kind of doctor who takes symptoms seriously' And I said thank god! Well it turns out the doctor and his son have Crohn's so he knows what it's like to suffer.
What I forgot to mention in my first post is that when he did the endoscopy last week he found 'possible' Barrett's esophagus and took a biopsy to confirm. I go to find out the biopsy results in 4 days. I just don't think the biopsies will show anything since nothing else has. I'm getting very pessimistic. Sometimes the 'episodes' are mild and sometimes they are severe. About 5-6 times they have awaken me from sound sleeping to start and sometimes they make my pulse fast. For example it will wake me up about 2-3 hours after going to bed at night and as soon as I wake up my pulse is 120 and I have severe pain, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea. I just have the nausea now because I have been taking Zofran since May. Since I've been taking the Zofran I haven't vomited but the nausea is still there. Sometimes it's severe and the Zofran doesn't even touch it.
After my appointment on Thursday I will let you know what my doctor says. I hope you feel better soon. Let me know how things go with you too if you don't mind. Have a wonderful Holiday Season...I didn't want to say Merry Christmas and offend you. I hope I can get some answers soon...my birthday is less than 2 weeks away and I don't want to be sick on my birthday!
Ask for a heavy metal toxicity test ...you may be suffering from environmental allergies caused by the aerial spraying with toxins ...Look up 'What on earth are they Spraying '
Well the biopsy confirmed Barrett's. He put me on Protonix 40mg daily. I've got to go back in 2 months for a follow up. The rest of the biopsies came back fine. My liver blood work came back abnormal so he did more and I hope to know the results of those by the end of week. What exactly were your symptoms? I've never heard of Barrett's before and kinda scared myself. How long has it been since you were diagnosed? I had a endoscopy done in May and the doctor didn't see it then...maybe he just missed it I don't know. My new doctor said he had to watch the Barrett's closely though but he didn't say how often he was going to do an endoscopy. Have you had a follow up endoscopy yet?