Gastroenterology Community
Side effects and recovery time from partial colectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

It has been 11 months from my partial colectomy (the entire right side removed due to a hole).   There were no signs of cancer, etc.    I had a colonoscopy done in January to confirm everything was ok.   Again, no signs of cancer, etc.  I was told it could take 1-2 years to feel normal again.   Overall I continue to feel better each month, but there are times, such as the past 3 weeks, that I feel worse and actually worry that I am having the same problems as before my surgery.   I find that certain foods cause more discomfort than others, such as pasta and potatoes.   I feel bloated and gassy often, even with small meals.   I took Miralax for 3-4 months and while it kept me consistant, I was bloated often.   Is it common to have these side effects 12 months after surgery?   What is the chance that I could be having the same problems as before and what tests can be done to confirm everything is ok?   I was lucky the first time and I went to the emergency room before I had an infection.    Has anyone gone through or going through what I am?
I don't know if this helps, but my son had a total colectomy when he was 12.  His biggest problem was the frequent bowel movements, which eventually improved a lot.  He has also learned that there are foods he can no longer eat.  But he recovered very quickly, of course youth play a role in this.  I don't understand why they would have you on Miralax.  But regardless, I can understand your concern.  Have you asked the doctor to run blood work for an infection?  Have you been running a fever?  Depending on your age, recovery time varies.  But if you are concerned, I would speak with your doctor about doing another colonoscopy, or ultrasound to verify that everything is healing correctly.  I personally feel like you should be feeling much better.  We have FAP an inherited colon cancer in our family, so I've experienced an awful lot with this type of thing.  Five family members affected, all but one are gone.  I learned that it is always better to error on the cautious side.  You know your body better than anyone, and if you feel something is just not right, don't hesitate for a second to seek help.  Good luck to you, and hopefully somebody else will post more helpful information for you.