Side pain with Acid Reflux?
Hi all,

About 9 months ago I started having low grade lower back pain on the right side. After a few months, I had it checked and was told it was probably nothing/muscular and to watch it. Since then it has slowly progressed to pain in my right side that feels like it's on my lower ribs or right under them. It's mostly on the right side but sometimes on the left in a similar way. I can't figure out if anything seems to bring it on, like lifting or moving a certain way. I've been to the chiropractor regularly for a month now, and have also had tests for kidneys, gall bladder, liver, bladder, and ovarian cysts, all negative. The side pain and back pain has died down in general, but it's still there on and off.

I'm wondering if the pain could be related to a digestive problem. I do have acid reflux, and have other symptoms such as gas, burping, nausea, cramping, waking up with sore throat and gross teeth, etc. I switch between Prevacid and Prilosec to see which is better, and noticed the side pain again after switching back to Prilosec a week ago (which doesn't seem to work as well for me overall). Has anyone experienced similar side pain to what I'm describing? Any thoughts about whether it could be digestive related? I plan to go to a GI soon.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include postural issues, neuro-muscular causes such as muscle sprain, nerve impingement, injuries to muscles/ ligaments etc. inflammations, fractures/ dislocations, bone bruise, micronutrient deficiencies, referred pain from other regions such as kidneys, GI etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!