Gastroenterology Community
Simple or Complicated?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Simple or Complicated?

I ended up in the Ed 12mths ago with chest pain, tests showed ulcers throughout oesophagus, stomach and small intestine, was given somac, since then I lost about 15kgs in 6mths because I couldn't eat, symptoms... reflux, nausea, hiccups when I eat, wind from both ends, vomiting and diarrhoea, no appetite, feeling full very quickly (after 2-3 mouthfuls). Endoscopy showed Gastroparesis, small Hiatus Hernia, was then put on Motillium, chest pains turned out to be oesophageal spasm so got nifedipine and an angnine for that. I also stopped eating heavy texture foods as they are difficult to swallow and I find I have the chest pain when I eat them. So since then things have never been normal, symptoms still there but bearable. I've had food allergy testing done and been tested for celiac, lactose intolerance etc, and that helicobacter pylori... nothing! In the last 3mths things got worse again, being able to eat less etc so they did another barium swallow (normal) and gastric emptying, and then another endoscopy... Have also had several colonoscopies in the past.. all normal. The results of the endoscopy... gastritis, poor motility, small hiatus hernia. Now the weird thing is they are telling me the results of the gastric emptying are showing the complete opposite to what all previous results, symptoms and obvious results showed, it now says gastric dumping, which I find hard to believe, it just doesn't make sense, I've tried to get them to redo the test but they don't want to. Anyway after the endoscopy I got really sick again and I'm back in hospital because I can't eat or drink enough. I have been searching the Internet and I can't find any other ideas or options so I'm giving this a go... I just have a feeling that there is something they have missed or something simple but the doctors have not thought of... does anyone have any ideas?
Tags: nausea, complicated, gastroenterolgy, Gastroenterology, Gastritis
1711789_tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Both gastroparesis and dumping could lead to the symptoms described, while other possibilities such as GI infections/ inflammations, connective tissue disorders, hormonal/ endocrine issues, micronutrient deficiencies, growth/ masses, medication side effect, malsorption syndromes etc. would need to be considered as well. It would be best to discuss the situation and the suggested management plan in detail with your treating gastroenterologist. If in doubt, one may consider a second opinion with another gastroenterologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949