Gastroenterology Community
Six Weeks After Gallbladder Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Six Weeks After Gallbladder Removal

It's been 6 weeks since I had my gallbladder removed (had one gallstone) and I'm still having some slight issues. While I've been feeling a lot better after eating and have resumed my normal diet I still have the same tenderness in my abdomen that I had before the surgery. It is most tender to the touch in the upper central portion just under my breastbone down to about an inch above my belly button. I also feel a dull ache under my breastbone for much of the day. It's nothing extreme, just enough to annoy me. Also, while not as bad as before, I still have some bloating and burping issues. I really am not wanting to go back to the doctor but am worried that maybe something could be wrong other than my gallbladder. If anyone has any thoughts on what could be going on, or has had the same problems after gallbladder removal, any insight would be great appreciated. Thanks!
I had my gallbladder removed in May of 09. I l still experienced pain, nausea and vomiting and couldn't eat still. Then my liver enzymes started rising and my potassium has been dangerously low. I have been in and out of ERs, gastro offices, hospitals etc looking for an answer. All they could tell me was I had IBS, gastritis, or it was all in my head. I was getting frustrated so I decided to give up. Then I got pregnant, I told my OB doc that I was in so much pain, was vomiting and couldn't even hold water down for many days. He finally earged me to go to the ER even though I was refusing due to the care I have received there in the past. I finally went for my baby ( I was 7 weeks then) because I knew I needed the hydration. Once there, they ignored me like usual until my lab work came back...then everything changed! Including their attitudes. They immediately admitted me to the hospital with pancreatitis. They put me on full pancreatic rest which means nothing by mouth...not even water. They ran further tests and now beleive I have SOD or spincher of odi dysfunction. It is where the bile duct is jammed or doesn't operate correctly anymore in return I have been suffering pancreatits for who knows how long now. Now two weeks later, I am still needing an ERCP with possible spincherotomy. I finally found a doc who is willing to due the procedure (which I am finding out not many GI docs do...there are two in AZ that I know of that is it!) Last night we went to St Joe's in Phoenix battling the rain because I was told they were going to fix me finally...the doc who was to do the procedure, went into preterm labor and is now out of commission for several months. The other doc who can do it is out of town on vacation for two weeks but has agreed to come back early to do my procedure next tuesday as I am a severe case. I wish you luck, don't give up on your health! It is best to go see a doc now and get diagnosed with whatever is causing your pain before it turns into something serious like pancreatitis!