Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth
After a year long period of many tests to rule out more serious disorders I was finally diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome.  I was given the hydrogen/methane breath test which showed very high methane levels but virtually no hydrogen.  I then proceeded to the antibiotic regimen.  First was Augmentin which did nothing then Rifaxim and that did nothing also.  The follow up breath tests showed no reduction in CH4 levels, which are very high.
The good news is that I feel fine and really function quite well.  Bowel movements are on the soft side, but are formed.
I very gradually seemed to to improve slowly, but I really want to know if there is a way or another antibiotic out there to eradicate this problem more quickly.  Is it a question of the correct antibiotic or some other method of eradication.
Seems to be extremely stubborn condition!
Hi! I don't know the answer to your question!  But I go for this test in Dec.  I have had tests for ever!!  Do you feel better now that you've started treatment?
I have been gradually feeling better, but the odd think is that the breath test showed the same or higher levels of methane.  It's very strange results.  Most people respond to the antibiotics and generally do feel better if thats is what they have.  Test is no big deal just boring sitting around breathing into a bag every 15 minutes for up to 3 hours.  Take something to keep you busy.  Hope it goes well for you.  What type of symptoms are you experiencing?
Test does sound boring!  I have uncontrollable diahrrea. I have no notice that I have to go until it happens and then I have to get on a toilet in recoed time or I mess myself. It's  so embarrassing to ad mit and I have been avoiding going anywhere where I might have to eat, because it ususallu happens shortly after eating.  Had many tests and now we're going to do this one.  I sure hope you are feeling better soon, it's not fun to not be able to be yourself and just enjoy our lives!