Gastroenterology Community
Small Intestine Stricture

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Small Intestine Stricture

I had my large bowel removed 3yrs.ago (ileorectal anastamosis, no j-pouch), mainly due to constipation or redundant bowel. I also had discomfort in the upper portion of which two opinions told me it was a stricture in the large bowel.
Well, 3 years later I have the same discomfort, same place, leading me to the conclusion the stricture was in my small intestine. Question, is there any other option than surgery, as I can't  go through that invasive sugery again?
Diet is very healthy, take probiotics, anything to build the intestinal walls.

This discussion is related to Small intestine stricture,possible hernias?.
Just because you're getting a pain in the same place may not mean a stricture of the small intestine. You could have developed adhesions, or a myriad of things could occur in surrounding organs that could give referred pain. Check with you doc before you jump to any conclusions.
Do you know of a good support group for my procedure as the Dr.s say each individual case is different? I'm suffering chronic back pain from my bowels all being on one side due to now scar tissue hampering them moving, putting strain on my stomach muscles
radiating to my back. (Along with the original pain site.) Thanks
Off the top of my head, I really don't know of a good support group. But you might try looking at some of the board for people with ulcerative colitis. Many with U.C. have operations such as the one you're describing and they might be able to offer some suggestions.

You might also want to check into working with someone who is well-versed in visceral manipulation. There are a number of good osteopathic techniques used by those who work in the field to help lessen the problems due to adhesions and post-surgical problems - including nerve entrapment. Try the iahp.com website and look for an experienced (very) practitioner of visceral manipulation (and perhaps nervous system manipulation) in your area.