Gastroenterology Community
Small bowel overgrowth
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Small bowel overgrowth

Paediatric i'm afraid! I have a 7 month old, who has delayed gastric emptying (t1/2 180) and was on lansoprazole, she developed faltering growth - from 6 wks slid down growth charts. I'm pretty certain she has overgrowth because she is abnormally gassy - burps and farts like you wouldn't believe, can feel milk fermenting in her even,  has pain on feeding and is distressed and cries a lot, and doesn't gain weight despite vast amounts of calories (more than enough for catch-up growth, she's under a dietician). Obviously i stopped the lansoprazole.
Also had a trial of metronidazole by a paediatrician who wasn't convinced of overgrowth - she gained 10oz in one week - the best gain ever!  But recurrent symptoms of misery and gassiness. Stools are loose, offensive and extremely variable.
Does she need repeated antibiotics?  Wasn't completely better on metronidazole i have to say. And acidophilus made her worse - tons worse.
Any thoughts? We see the paediatric gastroenterologist next week.