Aa
A
A
Close
Small bowel overgrowth
Paediatric i'm afraid! I have a 7 month old, who has delayed gastric emptying (t1/2 180) and was on lansoprazole, she developed faltering growth - from 6 wks slid down growth charts. I'm pretty certain she has overgrowth because she is abnormally gassy - burps and farts like you wouldn't believe, can feel milk fermenting in her even,  has pain on feeding and is distressed and cries a lot, and doesn't gain weight despite vast amounts of calories (more than enough for catch-up growth, she's under a dietician). Obviously i stopped the lansoprazole.
Also had a trial of metronidazole by a paediatrician who wasn't convinced of overgrowth - she gained 10oz in one week - the best gain ever!  But recurrent symptoms of misery and gassiness. Stools are loose, offensive and extremely variable.
Does she need repeated antibiotics?  Wasn't completely better on metronidazole i have to say. And acidophilus made her worse - tons worse.
Any thoughts? We see the paediatric gastroenterologist next week.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
You may want to consider starting with some stool tests to see if you can pinpoint changes in bacterial species/problems. You may also want to consider find out if a change in what she's eating/drinking might make a difference.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
actually she's been on several different milks on prescription  - including neocate - which is elemental -  ruled out allergies as she was no better. she suffers badly with carb rich foods - i suspect as the bacteria love carbs and ferment it. She really is a suffering baby.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources