Gastroenterology Community
Small bump near anus and also--

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Small bump near anus and also--

Well, here's the deal. I'm a healthy 35 year old male, not overweight and no recurrent health problems. I should probably drink more water and eat a tiny bit better, but other than that, I don't know. lol

For quite some time now--it may be almost a year now!--I have noticed a bump next to my anus that kind of "sticks out" a little when I am cleaning the area after going to the bathroom. I haven't really examined it, but sometimes it's less noticeable than others. For the most part, it's painless and is really only a minor annoyance when I'm cleaning. There's no blood, no soreness and no itching--at least not any more than would normally be the case depending on the bowel movement.

(For the record, *years* ago, I remember having a couple of occasions where I strained on the toilet. In addition, *years* before THAT, I think I *may* have had a small hemorrhoid, because I noticed a pink dot on my TP when cleaning. It was gone almost immediately. Just giving you some background.)

Anyhow, usually the bump becomes less noticeable a little while after going to the bathroom, and--here's the weird part--it doesn't even bother me at all during the day: No pain, I can sit, etc. and do normal activities. Obviously, I'm not complaining, I just thought I'd point that out.

Lastly, I have noticed the following--which I believe occurred independently of the bump in the past: At the end of cleaning, I notice if I press slightly while cleaning, a tiny tiny bit of clear stuff is on the toilet paper. I usually give a few more passes to make sure it's gone. I also make a point of going back slightly later to clean and I notice a tiny bit of the clear stuff again. As before, I'll make a few passes to make sure I no longer see it. (As before, a tiny bit of pressure has to occur for me to see it)

After this, I usually take a shower anyway (just because it usually times out that way in my day). After that, there's no  stains, itching, discomfort, smell, soreness--no nothing. Again, I'm happy about that, but I'm puzzled by it all.

I'm hoping this isn't something serious, since I've had it for a while. As a freelancer, I currently have no medical insurance, and thus I have to keep my doctor visits to a minimum. Also, I will be starting a new job soon, and there's no way I can feasibly have any wacky procedures done in that area anytime in the near future.

Anyhow, if anyone has any input/ideas/thought, that would be awesome... :) Thanks ahead of time!
hi, dont stress its not serious, a pouch thats called a diverticular , quite normal for these bags to potrude every now and then after bowl movements, some people tend to push them back up gently in the shower ofcourse, if symptoms do change like bleeding or severe bloating occurs the seek medical attention. cheers.
Are you sure? When I looked up "diverticular" on the web, it was associated with an inner colon-related condition. I've not found any references to it occurring outside/next to the anus. Obviously, I'm happy if it's something as simple as you're saying, I just wonder if this applies? Or perhaps I'm reading it wrong, in which case I apologize:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=3079

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diverticular-disease

BTW, it's hard to actually say what size it is, but I'm not exactly sure if I'm "pushing it back" or if it just becomes less noticeable after a while? It does make cleaning the area take a tad longer--but I usually get it done.

So what's the deal with the clear substance I see? I mean, I want to be able to confidently do things like, well, get intimate with a girlfriend, and I just want to make sure this is not going to be something I need to worry about... (I have enough troubles right now! lol)

Thanks for your comments... Anyone else have any thoughts?
hello again, yes it occurs in the rectum, its called rectal diverticulosis, cheers.
Thanks for getting back to me--

Just looked up "Rectal diverticulosis," and it seemingly is  a condition within the rectum, as opposed to externally next to the anus opening... but I'll obviously take it into consideration...

If anyone else has any more input on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated! I'd also like to see if anyone has input regarding the clear stuff.

Thanks everyone :)
Figured I'd stop by again to see if there's been any added information.
thanks dave as the links were very helpful