Gastroenterology Community
Soft stool that gets over to the vaginal area

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have soft stools more often than not. Last two months I have had stool that gets over to the vaginal area and I find this out when I wipe the vaginal area first. I don't have a rectovagnial fistula. I don't  have BV or an STD. It smells like stool. I dont' get stool on my underwear ever. I had a colonoscopy about 3 years ago and it was totally clear , no polyps. I also had a uterine ultrasound and have fibroids but no ovarian problems. How can this happen or what could be wrong? I am willing to get another colonoscopy if necessary. I am seeing my doctor in a month. It seems like the stool usually gets there when I put a lot of pressure to get the stool all out.
thanks,
mkh9

This discussion is related to Leakage after a bowel movement.
Assuming you always wipe front to back, then could be when you say you wipe the vagina first and nothing else, the tissue still picks up some of what is towards the back, giving the impression it's on your vag area.  Also, since you have soft stool, as it passes it can tend to get messy and be on the skin further towards the front, altho not in the actual vag area.  I have two suggestions.  One is to visit your gynecologist and explain what is going on, and she can look to make real sure there's not some physical reason why waste might be getting in the vag area, and alternatively she can explain other reasons why this appears to be happening.  Two is to eat more fiber foods to bulk up your waste, preventing straining and also from being too soft, and those foods include not only fruit as a snack and vegies, but also oat cereal, whole wheat bread sandwiches, salads with dinner, drinking plenty of water to offset the extra fiber.  If you do not get vaginal infections, I would say it is not coming from the vaginal area or getting in the vaginal area, rather just gets close or the tissue just looks like it came from there.  I hope something of these ideas will lead to resolving this problem you have.  And if you KNOW it's coming from the vag, seeing a gynecologist first is your best bet, rather than having any more gastro procedures at the moment.
Hi ggreg,
I just wanted to say that I am taking metamucil once a day and drinking a lot more water and trying to eat more veggies and it has been a week and a half and I haven't had the problem. I think you were right. I'm still going to follow up with my doctor to inform him and get an exam. But I think the problems seems to be solved so far!
thanks a bunch!!!
Mkh9
I am so relieved to see a discussion on soft stool appearing in the vaginal area.  I have this problem also.  The stool isn't present on my underwear, but when I wipe the FRONT, I am shocked to find a significant amount of soft stool.  I have not felt a bowel movement.  I do have frequent bowel movements, 3 times a day sometimes, due to eating lots of fruits and veggies. I told my doctor about the problem, and that it occurs about once every month.  He told me to eat LESS fiber and/or FEWER fruits and veggies. However,  I hate to change my hard-won dietary habits.  
An additional concern is my nervousness and my partner's anxiety about this problem occurring during sex. Please keep the discussion going....