Gastroenterology Community
Sore, something stuck in my throat

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sore, something stuck in my throat

Hopefully someone can give some concrete advice.
Today, I woke up with a terrible sore throat, and the feeling that something is stuck in my throat that I can't swallow. I've had this happen once before, about 3 months ago. It's painful to swallow, and drinking water does not help. It's starting to go away a bit, but I can still block my airway completely by slightly pushing my tongue backward (like as if to say ahhh), which I couldn't do before. There's obviously some kind of swelling, it's right behind the lower part of my adam's apple.
I asked my doctor about this about a month ago, and he blew it off as just allergies, but now I'm really concerned.
I used to have acid reflux, through out my twenties, and often I'd wake up in the middle of the night with an acid attack; spitting out a mouthfull of stomach bile, acid dripping out my nose, coughing and choking and not able to breath for about 20 to 30 seconds. That's happened countless times to me, and some times I didn't have tums available and it would burn my throat for the longest time.
I've also been a consistent smoker for 17 years (1 pack a day). I'm really concerned, and thinking of going to the hospital to get checked out. My question is, should I really go? Or just not worry about it?
I haven't had an acid attack in a couple years, but I still get frequent heartburn (of which I use tums, almost daily).
I do have allergies, tree and grass pollens, and short haired dogs, however, before 3 or so months ago, I never ever had a problem with my throat like this.
If you can help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Oh, I'm also taking unisom for insomnia, just ran out of zyrtec for allergies, those are the only medicines I'm taking, plus tums.
I forgot to mention that I'm a 31 yo male. That's why I'm so unsure if it's worth seeing a doctor, considering I'm still so young. ????