Gastroenterology Community
Splenic Cyst- What should I expect?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Splenic Cyst- What should I expect?

My gynecologist referred  me for a CT scan due to abdominal pain and yellow stool.

A portion of the results are as follows:
5 mm axial images were obtained from diaphragm to pubic symphsiswith IV and oral contrast.  The lung bases are clear. Below the diaphragm a large low-density well defined rounded structure seen within normal size spleen consistent with cyst measuring 4.7 cm diameter.  The upper abdominal contents areotherwisenormal......... etc.

The gynecologist then referred me to a surgeon, who I will see next week.  She offered no opinions, stating this was not her area of expertise, but spoke highly of the surgeon to whom she is referring me.

I can't find much of anything on cysts in the spleen on the internet.... I would like to know what to expect when I see the doctor.  ???

Can anyone advise me (help calm my nerves)?

Thank you,
Amy
I don't know much about the spleen, but my sister had a cyst in her ovaries and they did a simple surgery to remove it. They did go inside her though. She said it wasn't painful at all. I'd imagine they would do the same if it is that big of a cyst.
The little bit that I have read online indicates that removing a cyst from the spleen is difficult without damaging the spleen.  I read one article from the UK which indicated that a large cyst having been removed from a womans spleen without having to remove the spleen also was the first of its kind.....

I've read articles where doctors have not done anything and allowed the cyst to remain, watching it only.  I've read articles where they removed the entire spleen.

What I'm not at all certain about is how they determine which path to take or what constitutes a "worrisome " cyst vs. one they just watch.

I have other symptoms and I do not know if they are related or completely irrelavant.  (upset stomach - sometimes I can't eat for getting sick, yellow diarrhea, abdominal pains, tenderness in more than just the area of the spleen, etc)

I've never been to a surgeon before, and really have no idea what to expect.

God Bless!
Amy