Gastroenterology Community
Splenic Flexure Syndrome

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Splenic Flexure Syndrome

Is it possible to have Splenic Flexure Syndrome (SFS) without constipation ?   Most people seem to have it with constipation.   I have neither constipation or diarrhea.  I have normal BMs twice a day most of the time.  Occasionally I get
a severe spasm in the colon, which results in lots of small BMs all day (not diarrhea). These kind of spasms only happen if I eat something I am allergic to.

I have had chronic nagging pain in my left side just below my ribs for 5 years. . It often causes painful muscle spasms across my diaphragm, and affects my breathing, making me severely breathless. I also get muscle spasms in my back and shoulder blades.  I do not get any bloating in the abdomen..  My doctors seem to have no idea what is wrong.

I have had the usual tests -- upper endoscopy, barium swallow, colonoscopy, abdominal u/sound scans, CT scan and MRI scan of abdomen.   All that was found was mild diverticula disease in the sigmoid colon, and the GI doc was definite the diverticula disease is not causing the pain under my ribs.  

Are there any specific tests for Splenic Flexure Syndrome?

I have read the cause of SFS is trapped gas, but as long as I keep to my diet, excluding foods to which I am allergic, I hardly have any gas, far less than anyone else in my family, and I am sure I do not have any trapped gas. Yet I have the pain the whole time and it even wakes me at night. .  I did used to suffer from trapped gas in the past, before I identified all my food intolerances and allergies. Is it possible past episodes of trapped gas could have permanently distorted the splenic flexure or for it to have partially collapsed?  Would this show up on a colonoscopy?

The pain in my side and across my diaphragm is made much worse if I bend, or lift anything heavy.