Gastroenterology Community
Stabbing Pain on left side of lower abdomen

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm a 36 year-old relatively healthy female. I only drink 1-2 times per week and do not smoke.  In the past 24 hours I've developed a severe stabbing pain in my lower left side.  I don't know if it's an ovarian problem or a gastro problem.  It feels like it could be simple gas, but I don't believe gas would last this long.  Plus the pain has stayed in one specific spot the whole time.  I've taken Gas-X several times over the last 24 hours and that has no effect.  And now, in the last 12 hours I've felt like I'm coming down with the flu - chills, body aches, rising temperature.  It seems to get worse when I eat food so I'm skipping solid food for dinner.  I took two Tylenol and took a 2-hour nap which seemed to help.  I did some web research on abdominal pain on the left side.  Some websites have indicated it could be Diverticulitis or Intestinal obstruction, possibly IBS.  Suggestions?  Thank you...
Could be infection form a kidney stone too.
Please get to your doc!
hi, its possible that you have a temporary bacterial infection in your colon, one or more diverticular might be inflammed,  simple over the counter medication such as panadol might be sufficent for a short time, but if your pain persists for longer than 48 hours then see your gp and they will prescribe anti-biotics for you, remember drink lots of water, cheers.
Update:  Went to the GP who examined me and said to go to the ER immediately for Ultrasound and CT Scan.  ER determined it was diverticulitis after all.  Antibiotics and pain killers are doing the trick.  Thanks for the info.
hi again, so glad to hear your good news, we hope and pray that we can help many many more people overcome the evil thats called disease, cheers.