Aa
A
A
Close
Stabbing center stomach pain after eating/drinking milk
Hi,

Once in a great while after eating cereal I get this stabbing center pain in my stomach. I had my gallbladder, pancreas, and liver checked out by ultrasound and all looked good. This happens once in a while and no matter the cereal. Once in a while I would get right shoulder blade pain too (typical gallstone attack symptoms) but again, no one found anything. Today's pain was just the center stabbing stomach pain and that's it. No other referred pain.

Ideas of what it could be?
Cancel
7 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Gallbladder pain typically occurs below the rib cage on the right side, like a painful cramping within an hour after a FATTY meal. Ultrasouind may miss small stones; CT or MRI are more accurate.

Central pain, if it was just below the breastbone, and if it was shortly after the meal, may be from gastritis or stomach ulcer. If you fel bloated and you burp, this is usually from H. pylori infection. This may be tested by a breath test, and treated with antibiotics. Ulcer itself may be diagnosed only with endoscopy.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Lovely. I was trying to avoid endoscope. It is definately center, below the breast bone. I'm 14 weeks pregnant so endoscope right now isn't something I"m going to go into.

Just weird how milk immediately after drinking would cause this pain. But it's only once in a while.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Pregnancy is not a contraindicatioon for endoscopy. But before that, you may want to have a test for H. pylori, which is the most common cause of gastritis/ulcer.

Proteins (dairy, meat, eggs...) stay in the stomach for several hours and trigger acid secretion. You should also avoid acidic foods, including fruits, vit C, aspirins and such.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I just found it weird that the pain happened as soon as the milk entered my stomach. So we're talking by the time I finished the cereal it happened.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
So, only milk causes you pain? What about meat? Or acids, like vinegar? I don't see anything specific in milk.

Can you describe exactly how it goes, what kind of pain is it, where exactly, any heartburn, diarrhea, other sympoms?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I have the same problem *pain the Center of the stomach immediately after drinking milk* No idea what causes it though..and that is the only time it happens.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
could you possibly be lactose intolerant.
I"ve heard of women developing an intolerance to milk/dairy during pregnancy.
babies can also develop this intolerance as well.

Do you experience bloating as well?

I"m lactose in tolerant and when I first started noticing it, it was milk products and i would get a sharp pain in my stomach and it would go away...now it's full blown and includes diarrea, bloating, pain.

it's an option.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
Top Digestive Answerers
Blank
fntn