Sternal Pain Post Nissen
This is very refreshing to read. It's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing these problems! I had my Nissen done last summer, and since I have had burning in my stomach, and for the past six months, pain in my stomach/sternum area. I have had every test done under the sun. I am back on a PPI for the burning (not that it really helps), and I have had a Hidascan done for my GB, my GB removed even though they didn't really find anything wrong with it in hopes that it would help, a stomach dumping study, and an endoscopy. They did find gastroparesis, and I had dumping syndrome after the surgery. I can tell when my gastroparesis is acting up because I'm very distended and full. This puts pressure on my Nissen and causes some esophageal spasms. However, this is a different discomfort than the stomach/sternal pain that's there ALL THE TIME! I have found taking Bentyl (a Rx anti-spasmotic) helps some with the pain. I actually never thought about it being hiatal hernia pain since I figured they fixed it in my Nissen surgery. However, my chiropractor recently spent some time pushing up my rib cage and stretching my abdominal muscles. He said he wondered if my hiatal hernia or Nissen wrap was pushing on my diaphragm. After he did this, I actually felt better. I have gone all weekend without any pain basically! When I do have some pain, I really stretch out my abdominal muscles and try to have better posture. I know that I hunch over anyway, and having two abdominal surgeries in 9 months doesn't help with that. But I do find that leaning back and getting things stretched out helps. I hope this can actually help take the pain away! I have had had so many unexpected complications since the Nissen. I am only 24 and I want to be healthy and just simply feel good!

This discussion is related to Stomach Pain post Nissen Fundaplication.
Hi there!

A hiatal hernia is unlikely post a nissens; while gastroparesis, gastritis and residual reflux are more likely possibilities. Gastroparesis may be a contributing factor to the symptoms. For some reason most people take a few months to respond to the surgery while in a small number of others it may not be effective or may become undone overtime with reversal of relief, when a re-surgery may be indicated. For the time being, I would suggest following the conservative management (medications) suggested by your treating doctor. If you do not happen to notice any improvement over the next few months or the symptoms get worse, you may seek a review with your treating gastroenterologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!