Still in Pain over a year after Colon resection
I had a colon resection 1yr 4mos ago. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis at 25yrs old and now near 29. I had my surgery (laproscopic), and they did not realize the extent of how bad I really was until then. I had over a foot of my descending to sigmoid colon removed.

Since my first BM in the hospital, I said to them how it feels like "electricity" in my abdominal, pelvic, and rectal area. Well over a year later, it still has not stopped. I feel the pain during intercourse, BM's, and even before I have to go. I have such lower back and abdominal pain before I have to go to the Bathroom, you can barely make it in enough time.

I have seen every doctor from OBGYN, my surgeon, gastro, and family physician, all to tell me that they don't know what to say, other than, "you look good". I am suffering every day.

I have normal stools finally, but after my last colonoscopy they did find more diverticuli. I have even been given two different meds for IBS that did not work (which ruled that out).

I realize that I wrote a lot, but if anyone has any ideas on what to do for my pain, or where to go, etc. I would be most greatful...
You should keep pressing your surgeon to come up with a solution as he/she is responsible for both the surgery and your eventual recovery.

Although it may seem drastic, it might be worth asking whether your condition could be cured by the removal of more - or even the remainder - of your colon.  Maybe this is an  option with some merit - particularly in view of the fact that further diverticular disease has been discovered??

You may have seen one of my postings on Medhelp whereby, in response to another patient, I decsribed my own experience of a total colectomy (for torrential diverticular bleeding).  This can be found on:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts.show/523166

This is just in case you wish to explore the option I have suggested and would like to know another patient's experience.  Maybe your own experience of the resection of the part of your sigmoid colon has already mirrored my own experiences??

regards
Morecambe
I have had two sigmoid colon resections due to diverticulitis. A total of 12 inches of my colon was removed. It has been 2 years since my last surgery and deal with constant left abdominal pain.

I had a colonoscopy two weeks ago and my colon had numerous diverticula.

Has anyone had the same experience and how did you deal with the problem.

Thank you,
Terri
Gulf Shores, Alabama