Gastroenterology Community
Stomach Bloating & Pain under breastbone

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hey,

I am asking this question online cause I have no idea what tests to do or what kind of doctor to see for my condition..

A couple months ago, I was in Miami seeing my boyfriend and about 4 to 5 times during a period of 4 weeks, started feeling this intense pain under my breastbone.. At the top of my ribcage. My boyfriend blamed heartburn, but this wasnt it. It was just pain in a located area. I looked it up online and decided to have a peppermint tea, which helped. Since then Ive had this pain a couple times, and resort to drinking my peppermint tea and I have assumed the pain is from gas pains..

However, recently I went on the Master Cleanse for 10 days.. drinking only water with maply syrup, lemon and cayenne pepper..I felt I needed to cleanse out my system, and it worked.. I felt much revived. But a day into eating, I got really bloated.. which is maybe because I ate too fast or too much, watever..I didnt think anything of it, but the next day, I suddenly got this excruciating pain, under my breastbone again, but MUCH much more painful.. I was literally crying, drinking my peppermint tea.. and asked my mum to go find something I could take at the pharmacy.. They gave me these little soft gel gas pills.. Which I took, and the pain did go away.. But then it happened again the next day. The day after that, it wasn't so bad, but I could feel it was still there.. You know? There was something wrong.

Then the day after that, on saturday, the 'thing'/feeling under my breastbone was gone but it seemed to have moved down to my lower stomach. Weird no? I was hoping whatever it is would could out in the bathroom, but today is wednesday and it's still there. So when I rub on my stomach, i feel this lump.. And if i press in certain places (varies everyday) it's painful.. Which I dont think it should be.

Im still taking the gas pills, and taking herbal laxatives to help go to the bathroom.. But Im not really going and this thing is still in my stomach.. I've always usually got a nice stomach but at the moment it's bloated, and looks huge!! It's also veryyyy problematic, as it is making me feel sluggish and not willing to move or work out.. I hate feeling this way..

So, has anyone felt like this or similar to this and could someone not only tell me what the hell is going on, but what was the cause and also how to cure it!!!!

Additional info is that im 21, never had any real problems to do with heartburn or anything like that.. Though I do think I have a terrible digestive system.. So any help towards how I could reset it or help restore it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Tasha x

It sounds like a trip to a competent gastroenterologist may be in order. He or she will investigate the cause of your symptoms using a variety of techniques including blood work, stool samples, endoscopy, CAT scans, etc. It sounds like you may have upset your system a bit by following your cleansing routine. Even for a healthy individual, ingesting nothing but simple sugars, citric acid, and spices for 10 days would probably cause quite an upset to the digestive system. You may want to try adding some beneficial flora to your GI tract by eating 1 cup of yogurt (with live cultures) everyday over the next week. Vanilla is delicious, and can be added to smoothies (which will also add some much needed fiber to your diet). Probiotic supplements are also available, but will not add fiber (which will help relieve constipation). To relieve bloating & diarrhea, try taking activated charcoal tablets as needed. The charcoal will absorb a lot of excess gas and irritants and carry it out through the stool.