Gastroenterology Community
Stomach Pain and Constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach Pain and Constipation

Hello my name is Casey, I am a 22 year old Male and have been having some stomach issues. About the second week of May when my family and I went on vacation, I laid down to go to bed and about an hour later a strong stabbing pain in my upper left abdomen had caught my attention, along with strong pressure and gurgling that would travel up my lower abdomen into my stomach. The pain came and went for a day or two and when it did, I was unable to move and in excruciating pain. I went on a liquid diet after seeing the Dr. and was found to have a urinary tract infection, and what they thought to be pancreas problems. The pain decreased and I went home. A day or two later my stomach began to hurt and every time I would eat it would go away until I laid down or about an hour or two after eating. Then gurgling would start in my stomach and work its way down, its painful and very sensitive. For about three weeks I have had off and on constipation that only is fixed with laxatives. The spot in my upper left abdomen that hurt the first attack aches and hurts constantly. I have had a CT scan, an X-Ray, and three types of blood work done all coming up negative. Now I am in constant pain after eating and have chronic belching that only releaves the pain momentarily. My Dr. has no clue what is wrong with me, I need help fast! I have lost weight from not eating and I have become tired and sore. I dont drink much, I workout everyday (that i can move enough) and I cant seem to get any answers.
You don't mention having an endoscopy or colonoscopy, and this needs to be done.  An endoscopy allows the doctor to view your stomach and throat, where a colonoscopy will allow him to view your colon.  Something is obviously wrong for you to still be having these problems.  At 22, I don't feel it's serious but certainly something that needs treatment. These two tests are imperative with your symptoms and you need to see a Gastroenterologist for them and to get a complete evaluation.  This is their specialty and they will be able to help you.  I hope you get some answers soon, and best wishes.
I have made an appointment for this week and I will have my doctor refer me to a Gastroenterologist. Thank you for your reply. It just worries me that after all the other tests that I haven't got proper treatment.
The one nice thing about left upper quadant pain is that it is the least populated area of the abdomen. There one finds the stomach, spleen, pancreas, a kidney, and a portion of the colon. mammo is right in that the stomach would be the most likely in an otherwise healthy 22 y/o male. A urinary tract infection is a little strange in a 22 y/o male though. What made them think it might be your pancreas?
I got blood work back and the chemicals or levels produced by my pancreas were extremely high the day after my first attack. The doctors thought i may have over drank, but I had one beer three days earlier. The urinary tract infection wasn't explained either and being highly sexually active i am not sure if it could have come from that.
Approximately 95% of pancreatitis s caused by either alcohol or gallstones. You should have a gallbladder ultrasound to further evaluate the possible causes of the pancreatitis.
I have had an ultra sound done on my gallbladder and it turned up negative for anything. I am sorry if i didnt mention that in the first description.
I have been doing a lot of research and in the past two days I have also developed small red itching bumps on my penis as well. At first I thought it was a rash do to constant moving in hot weather at work but then they became more evident and itchy after applying lotion and antifungal spray. But back to the research, Ive read that herpes can cause certain constipation and upper abdomen pain. Is this true, or am I over stressing myself?