Gastroenterology Community
Stomach Problems and Headaches

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach Problems and Headaches

I have been having alot of headaches lately. I was wondering if stomach problems like GERDS, Barrett's Esopagus, gastritis and IBS could be the cause of all the headaches that I've been having lately.
Well, it's true, sometimes if you get constipated and waste stays in the body too long, the resulting toxins might give you a headache.  Add more fiber food to your diet and drink more water and exercise to help any constipation you might have.  If you have a lot of acid in your tummy, you can drink milk or eat less acidic foods and more alkaline foods, or you can take an alka seltzer.  You can Google online to find out what foods are more alkaline than others and add those to your diet, and what foods are acidic and reduce those foods.  

But headaches usually come from body tension, which settles into the muscles in the shoulders.  The muscles that go up from the shoulders and neck to the head, if they get too tight or bunched up, then having someone rub them out good will usually help a headache.  Or sometimes you can wrench the muscles in your shoulders from lifting something heavy or some other cause of injury, and again, rubbing out your muscles can fix the headache.  You can also get a headache from eye strain and needing glasses, or from your teeth bothering you, from developing migraines, the list is long.  Hope some of what I say rings a bell for you.