Gastroenterology Community
Stomach issue

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach issue

I would love some help with this please.

I am a healthy 28 yr old male.  About a week ago I had a weird sensation on my left pelvis.  Not pain, just something that didnt feel right.  Since then I have been extremely gassy, get a bloated feeling often, gurggling in my stomach, and quick stabs of nerve like pain in my pelvis and man parts.

I have watched my stool and for one day it seemed flat.  It has been smaller than normal since, but not pencil thin like i hear described.  More like 4 pencils, but deff a reduction in size from normal.  Its the right color though and no blood.

Symptoms Brief:
Fullness feeling in stomach.
Gurgling from stomach.
Thinner stool.
Stinging pain in pelvis and reproductive organs.

I think I have gained about 5 pounds, but not changing diet, and no loss of appetite.

All this is one weeks time.  I read how cancer can make it flat and then thin, but it was flat for only one day, and since has been small.  I doubt cancer acts that fast.  I would assume cancer would act much more gradually.

I went to my doc today, and he said he could not find a hernia and took my blood and ****.  But thats going to be a week to get back, and this feeling is not going away.  I have had no change to my eating or lifestyle.

All I know is one day, I had that weird feeling in my pelvis while going to the bathroom, and since these symptoms are here.  Does anyone have any idea?
Update:  Past two days Ive been more tired.  GF noticed it even.

Less paing in man parts now, less pain in stomach, but still feel full at all times of day.  Couldnt eat a whole sandwich either as I started to feel a little nautious.  To be honest, I think I am driving myself crazy with worry since everything on the internet says Colon Cancer.  I have an appointment tomorrow with a Gastro.

Current symptoms:
Full feeling/bloated.
Less energy than normal (even though I normally drink alchohol and get less sleep than I have this week)
Have gone to the bathroom, but never feel emptied.  
Now to get a lil grosser.  I strain to go to the bathroom and when I strain harder I can feel pressure on upper left pelvis.  When it comes out it is in small pieces (maybe 2-3 inches long) and very narrow (about the width of a dry erase marker.) Often it is flipped up at the end or curved.

I understand that with many colon related things bleeding is common, but it looks completely normal color wise.  There may have been 1 day over the weekend where it appeared dark, but that was only 1 day, and after Mexican. :)

My fears are still telling me colon cancer; I'm only 28 though with no family history.  I still can get stuff out, and it is thin and in small fragments, but no blood.

In the morning I can get out a few good pieces before I start having to strain and get the smaller stuff....which leads me to think/fear  there is a blockage about 12 inches up....so as I sleep its forming under a block fine, but once I clear that out, I am pushing whats behind the block through.

I guess tomorrow I'll talk to the expert....I just hope I feel better; and my symptoms, if worst case, do not seem as bad as other people who have had it.  I am not totally blocked, I'm not throwing up, and I don't see blood, and Im not pencil thin.

Of course, if I read right people with butt problems feel fatigue due to becoming anemic because of losing blood.  Since I see no blood, and its not black, I doubt I'm lossing blood, so fatigue may indeed just be worry/stress I've put on myself worrying what I have.

Anyways, maybe I just typed all this cause I am panicking myself to death after reading the internet.

May be of interest, in February I took 2 days off work because my stomach didnt feel well, and I felt constapated.  Could be a link? Not sure....just worry.

Any ideas out there, or similarities to anyone?
Sometimes the internet can scare the heck out of you!  At your age with no family history, I doubt it is cancer.  There are a lot of other things that could be going on, what is important is that you are being pro-active and not waiting on this!  Catching anything early, even cancer is a big positve step towards recovery.  I know it's scarey, but don't worry until you know if there is something to worry about.  My son had his colon removed at 12, and then about a year later started bleeding from his rectum, of course I panicked, thinking the worst.  It was just some inflammation, and he is a healthy 38 year old today.  So, I do know how scarey this can be, but I think you'll be fine (his problem was due to a hereditary disease).
Thanks for reply mammo.  My GF has about had it with my worrying.  Hopefully I will post something positive after tomorrow's appointment.  I hope (if it is cancer) I'm catching it early.  From everything I've read though if you show symptoms, you did NOT catch it early.
It's okay to be worried, we would be doing the same!  Colon cancer has many forms, some with symptoms, some without.  Cancer is very treatble even after symptoms appear, this is one cancer where great strides have been made. If you were blocked, trust me, you'd know it! It could be as simple as constipation, or irritable bowel syndrome (which I have), there are just so many variables.  My grandson had problems and it turned out that he had a softball size of stool that was just stuck and not moving, with liquid going around it.  They gave him a laxative that broke it up, and he was fine.  It may not even be your colon at all.  I've had to learn that all the worry in the world will not change anything, accept that you are young and what ever it may be, you've already gotten a head start on taking care of it.  Think of Lance Armstrong, he shows what a good attitude and the determination to fight can do for you.  Please let us know what you find out.  I will be thinking of you...........
Day 3 on this forum.

Going to doctor today.  I woke up feeling weak, especially in legs.  I weighed myself in at 185....on Monday the primary care doc weighed me in at 205.  I ate very little yesterday though.

I was able to go to the bathroom this morning and very loose stool came out.  Again what seemed like about the same 12 or so inches worth.

I dunno how much is worry at this point, and how much is actually whatever is wrong with me.  I've been worrying bad, I mean BAD.  and i know that lack of appetite, weakness, and nausia can all be from excesive stress or worry on the body.

Hopefully, today I will have more answers.
Heading out to doc now.

Minor back pain (comes and goes).
A spot, 1 single spot of pain in front lower abdomen kinda like a stinging.  Still minor pain but there.  That is also the same spot that had that burst, or pop feeling that started all this.  Havent eaten all day.  Bathroom 3 times today.  Once at home that was good.  Once at work diarreah (diarrhea).  And then once more cause I felt full and i squeezed out one little curved piece.  No fun.

Still freaking the freak out.  Praying for the best.  Peace.
Back from doc, wow am I feeling better.  He did a rectal and the thing to see if I was bleeding.  Zero signs of blood.  He said with no blood, no family history, and my age that my chances of it being cancer were slim to none.  He also said because of the location of the pain (left pelvis) that he thinks Divertic.  I am scheduled for a scan on Monday, and pending the results a colonoscopy of Friday next week.  I feel much more confident now.  Hopefully this will turn out well.
This is good news, and I am sure it will continue to be.  Relax now!
I am relaxed... TY mammo for writing me when I was super afraid.  Sometimes all it takes is someone to hear ya, you know? And you are A+.
Day 4: CT Scan Day (I was wrong above, it is today friday)

Woke up, still feel fatigued when I get out of bed.  diarrhea again this morning.

The spot, as I've begun to call it on my upper left pelvis has been letting me know its there more and more.  Upon further reading and the doc's advice it seems that that exact spot is where people experience diverticulitis pains.  I guess its part of the sigmoid colon?  Amazing how you learn about your body when it doesn't work right.  The spot is telling me more and more that it is there.  But its not full blown pain, and it doesnt hurt to press on it.  

Still, no longer fearing Cancer, while it still may be a possibility, its a longshot.  And all the symptoms all hitting at once like this tells Doc evidently its more infectious than a tumor growth.  Thanks for reading.
So I ended up in the emergency room last night.  I think it was my nerves more than anything.  Stupid me.

Anyway, they were able to read by CT Scan and took my blood and urine.

The scan showed minor inflammation in my colon, and a lesion on my liver.  But my blood and urine came back absolutely fine.  I asked the doc, if I had cancer, that my vitals would have been all over the place and he said yes.  He said lesions are normal, I should get an MRI, but nothing to worry about.  He also said that the CT Scan would have been more revealing if I had a late stage cancer in my colon than just minor inflammation.

Anyways, looks like I'm going to live.  I just don't see how I can wait until Friday for the difinitive answer to what I have after the colonoscopy.  Still, every single doctor (3 now) have told me its not cancer.  I really should just listen to them.

When I think about it I feel more tired and sweaty.  If my mind is on other things I dont feel nearly as tired.  I guess thats my nerves more than anything.

Anyways, peace all.
Sorry, I'm using this more like a journal it seems.

I spoke with my GI finally today.  I am getting an MRI of my liver tomorrow to make sure about those lesions.  I don't eat the best and I drink too much so I am hoping its my lifestyle only.

I went over my test results and he said it is not colitis or diverticulitis.  So I'm not sure what that leaves now as far as blockage.  Again, worrying more.  Lesions on liver + blockage in colon.  Worry.

Still 4 docs now have said there is nothing that looks like cancer among all the test results ran so far.  No blood.  Normal Vitals, etc...and that if I were in late stages of cancer, especially one that could spread to my liver then something would be not right other than just my initial complaints about thin stool.

Again, any feedback?  The nerves kill me more than anything else right now.
Hey ive been reading your journals hope everything went ok seems your getting answer quick.Lets us know what happened with the lesions on your liver good luck hun!
Hey, im a 23 yr old guy with some pretty messed up GI symptoms so I feel you. Just wanted to say, you probably don't have to worry about your life being in jeopardy just yet. All that will do is bring up stress which defiantly doesn't help in stomach problems. I had a kidney stone at 19, then a year later the chronic nausea and severe weight loss began. Here I am 3 years into it and at least 5 doctors down, still no diagnosis. Granted, life is far from easy but I'm still surviving. Cancer should be pretty far down on the list at this point because its probably one of the most common diseases checked for, especially in your case requesting the info. By no means should you give up and think your symptoms will go away because believe me, they probably wont, but at least try to make the best of being alive while your waiting on a diagnosis. And remember, doctors are human, they can only help with what they know.
New day....MRI day.

I hate to say it, but I am resigning myself to the idea that I have colon cancer.  This may be pessimistic and I should wait to hear from the doc....but in my mind I am prepping myself for the worst so I can fight it as needed.

Today's test is SOOOOOOOOO important.  If it is indeed colon cancer (which is about the only thing not eliminated at this point), a negative result from the MRI would spare me a stage IV diagnosis.....and give me that much more chance at winning.

I should know the results of the MRI tomorrow by calling the doctor, I am also starting the colonoscopy prep tomorrow.  

Please, PLEASE PLEASE let the results come back normal for my liver.
Good news!  

While the tech isnt supposed to tell you, and of course he didnt, he said that cancer shows up like a roman candle...and that nothing like that showed up for me.

That rules out a stage IV...hopefully, in 2 days cancer will be ruled out.  Never thought I'd be wishing for something like crohns, but in comparison I'd take it.
Prep day:

Today is the day I prep for my colonoscopy.  Hopefully, the doc will find nothing at all.  With my spirits up last night after the MRI results were unofficially told to me I ate the first real meal I have had in a week and a half.  This morning, I had the first real dump I have had in a week and a half.  It felt great.

My spirits are up, and whatever it is I'm ready to fight.  Tomorrow, will hopefully close down my story.
Just had my first taste of the prep coctail....gross.
The prep is the worst part of the test!  A bit of advice....put some vaseline on your bottom so that you don't get sore from going to restroom so much.  Good luck!
I had my colon scope done a month ago, and I was scared to death!!!! The prep wasn't to bad, just drinking the liquid.....when I went in the following day they prepped me with an iv, waited for about twenty minutes, went in to see the doctor, was given some type of medicine that knocked me out, when i woke up i was dressed and ready to go. With in ten days my results came back and it was negative....yours will be also!!!!! Have faith my friend!!!  I felt the same way you are feeling and i thought it was colon cancer also...
Thanks mammo and suga.

I have quite the setup next to the toilet.  Sprite, the "cocktail", medicated wipes, vaseline, phones, and a mirror so I can watch TV in the other room.  Airplane on now.

Hopefully, this time tomorrow I will be celebrating.  I have read more, and discovered how rediculously rare CC is in someone under 30 with no family history.  I also have read up on IBS forums about thin stool so I have more confidence the day before the exam than I have in a few weeks.

About the cocktail....the place told me to only drink half of it.  Which I did, and I think I am done now....stuff still comes out yellow.  Is that as good as it gets, or should I keep drinking?
You really want it to be clear.  If you're not completely cleaned out, they won't be able to do the scope.   See if it is clear within an hour or so, if not take another dose and then stop, this should do it.  I have no doubt that you will be celebrating tomorrow.  I have never known of anyone having to wait on the results, they usually tell you right afterwards.  My son stays awake so that he can watch the monitor and see what they seeing, but he's been thru so many, it just doesn't bother him.  IBS can cause your symptoms as I have it.
Just been reading your "journal".  If someone would publish a book from a journal like this it would be a best seller!  I can relate to everything you are saying....  been through it all and more.  Don't envy you tonight though!  Just know that they can't see the small intestine with that scope and it took a capsule endoscopy to diagnose my Crohn's.  Good luck!
Today is the day.  I am 2 hours from the scheduled time.  My nerves are more out of control than ever in my life.  I am thinking about every single time I ever saw blood.  Every single time my stool was thin....and how thin....and for how long.  I don't know if its months, or weeks, or days....in my current panic I am thinking its been there a while.

I have considered it a "good deep poop" when I go those little weird shaped pieces in the past.  But now, I wonder, was that the warning sign I didn't know to look for?

At least after today, everything will be known.  I hope.  And hope for great news.
AND!

Colonoscopy done.  
Removed 1 nodule in the ileocecal valve.
2 internal non bleeding hemorrhoids.
mucosa in the descending colon.

NO CANCER!

Still sent the cut off parts to biopsy as is normal procedure, but evidently whatever is bothering me is still unknown.  Next week I have to get small intestine checked out, just as routine next step to try and diagnose stomach issue before they just slap IBS on it.

I am having a good day.  The drugs were awesome to me.
That's great!!!! Told you that everything would be ok!!!!  Normally, if you are nervous about the test due to this being your first time they will increase the meds.  You probably had a polyp, I had one so that's why the biopsy was conducted.  They told my mother everything about my procedure.  I may have to get my small intestine looked at also...  Just monitor any changes until you see your doc again.  God bless!!!